Skyrim - Frost Dragon Mk2 by DaiShi

Do you think I should mirror the model?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

daishi

You say your new scheme is closer to the original colour and textures from the game.
Yes well the camera makes the dragon way bluer than it actually is. cant really help it, I think its maybe something in the photo paper. because with plain paper the pictures were not as saturated as IRL not they are over-saturated wall1

And if you recall I wrote somewhere that my Mk1 is was printed on a really <CENSORED> printer so I'm definitely overcompensating a bit. But what can I say I like it to have a more icy blue look after the greenish/grey of my Mk1 (And as you have said its a personal preference :cool:)

I would love to see some pictures of the assembly of each part, to see what techniques you use, and where I can learn from you.:mrgreen::eek:ops:
I'm always trying to take build pictures. But i usually listen to audiobooks while building and kind of forget about it (even with having the camera on the table in front of me wall1)

pokemoz

Another great work and I'm really impressed about your patience to build such models. In fact...I worked on mechs about 20-30 hours but this one (also the other frost dragon) is a bit more work I think (also other models of course). In germany we would say "Ich ziehe meinen Hut vor euch!" :) Great...indeed!

daishi

Ive gotten a little busy for the last month or so but here is an update:

I've mostly finished with the Word wall for Mk2 to stand on.
I still have to glue in the internal bracing, but I think Ill wait with that until the whole dragon is finished.

I've used 190 gsm matt photo paper for this part. I think I'll have to get back to thicker marker pens to color the cut edges when I use this kind of paper again, some of the edges show more white than id like to, but Ill do something about that later.
So here are the pictures:
wipwordwallformk201.jpg
wipwordwallformk202.jpg

wipwordwallformk203.jpg

wipwordwallformk204.jpg

wipwordwallformk205.jpg

Sorry I forgot to take build pictures again wall1, but on the other hand Redshirts from J. Scalzi (Audiobook) was really good and funny too. I actually tore a piece because I started laughing so hard :)

daishi

Sorry I didnt post any updates lately:
had some camera trouble, and I really didn't want to use my phone camera.

So the wings are done, since Ive used thinner paper this time around I could cut away the membranes to give it a more ragged look.

I used expanding foam and wooden sticks to strengthen the wings so they should hold up better than my old MkI

So here are some pics:

Attachments

• WIP_Frost_Dragon_01.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_01.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 12
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_02.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_02.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 16
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_03.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_03.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_04.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_04.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 12
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_05.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_05.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 11

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Looking fantastic Daishi.
The new colour looks good!:thumb:

(And I don't even wanna talk about my build..:cry:)

daishi

Ok I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. (And I'm reasonably sure its not a train headlight :cool:)

My Mk2 build is almost completed only the tail left to finish!
All the expanding foam I intended to use is dried and hardened so I think its safe to say that excluding a major external accident the Dragon itself should be closing completion.

The thicker parts of the wings, the front part of the chest and hip is mostly filled with expanding foam, with some wooden reinforcements in the wings, so if this is not enough to keep the dragon upright I don't know what will be. I'm thinking of using wooden dowels on the foot - Word Wall contact points. and use expanding foam inside the Word Wall too.

As for the Word Wall. I'm thinking of making small indentations on the characters using an eraser and my tweezers to give them a more carved out look. Have to try it out first though since ofc. it came to me after it was already assembled wall1.
Also I'm thinking about enhancing the moss on the rock by using some kind of coarse green powder. I have a few candidates already but I'll have to try them out how they look. (If anyone have a proven technique that does not require expensive (like the stuff you can buy for dioramas and whatnot) ingredients I'd be delighted to hear them :mrgreen:)

Oh and ofc. some pictures:

Attachments

• WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_03.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_03.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_04.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_04.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 18
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_02.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_02.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 20
  • WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_01.jpg
    WIP_Frost_Dragon_Mk2_01.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 15

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Absolutly fantastic, I love it even if it is blueish. maybe one day I'll get up the nerve to try something like that.

Rogerio Silva

Oh, boy, I'm sooo not worthy! I'm speechless! I just hope my older son doesn't see that, or I'll have to build it! Hohohohohohoh...

daishi

Finally finished with my Frost Dragon MkII so I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. :cool:

The moss turned out quite well I was expecting it to looks about half this good.

I've attached some pics but the there are higher resolution versions here and here, and ofc. in my gallery.

Attachments

• Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII 001.jpg
    Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII 001.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII 002.jpg
    Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII 002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII - Mossy rock.jpg
    Skyrim - Frost Dragon MkII - Mossy rock.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 17

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
:wave7:
wave7.gif

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I bow before you, master of the dragon.... This is the most awesome dragon model / dioram I've ever seen. Thank you for the links to your album and the bigger versions. I'm totally speechless.

:inw::inw::inw::inw::inw:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
jawdropjawdropjawdropWOW!!!jawdropjawdropjawdrop
I am beyond IMPRESSED!!!
That is PHENOMINAL!!!
Once I get the time to do such, I am going to have to try my hand at this model.

KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!:thumb::thumb:

Rogerio Silva

It's the real thing!

Naaah... You somehow genetically engineered a pet dragon and took those pictures. It can't be paper, it's a real, small dragon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
UNBELIEVABLE, that's UHU02 standard, if I may boldly say so! :cool: :cool: :cool:
CONGRATULATIONS!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
OK, OK...!!! YOU WIN!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Mine looks crap in comparison to yours.

You make me want to start all over again...... :p
But, even if I did, I wouldn't beat that....!!

Respect Sir!!! :inw:

Now I am going to open a beer, smoke a joint and sulk .... sign1sign1
:thumb:

:wave:

daishi

Thx all! there will be a small model exhibition near here in 2 weeks we will see how the judges like it. :)

Naaah... You somehow genetically engineered a pet dragon and took those pictures. It can't be paper, it's a real, small dragon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's not gene-engineered, its a pseudo-dragon familiar, had to cast the spell for 20 hours till it showed up ( <- Its a D&D reference :mrgreen:)

OK, OK...!!! YOU WIN!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Mine looks crap in comparison to yours.
You make me want to start all over again...... :p
But, even if I did, I wouldn't beat that....!!

Nah! I took some pointers from your build, like using expanding foam, and how to cut the wing membranes so they look good.
Also if you didn't start building I wouldn't have got the inspiration to do a re-build.

Also that base you've made makes me envious. Its so cool!

I've put my old dragon next to this one just to make a shot, but the old one looked so bad I decided not to take the pic after all. (time wasn't kind to it, especially without proper internal support)

Its not a competition anyway, I like to see other ppl building my templates. Especially if I can learn a few tricks from them myself, which was the case now, so I thank you for that.