Skyline's Grumman AF-2S Gaurdian BETA BUILD

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jan 30, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A fly in the ointment, or bug #1

The only fit problems are with the top louvre things, they are just a bit short and a tad to thin, so I converted the pdf to bitmaps (already done by the way) and added 1mm to width and 2mm to the length. Another fix would be to decrease the area to be cut out on the fuselage part. The only other fix to this part would be to shorten the bottom exhaust port @1mm in the fore and aft direction. It may not be exactly to scale with the actual aircraft but it would give a tiny bit more meat to the connector strips. Itdoes work as designed but it gave me a little worry that the connector strips would be visible thru the cut out.

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There was an internal bulhead/former structure installed inside, that had a profile part, in the X an Y axis and the actual bulkhead or Z axis. This also ensures teh proper nose droop look, but in actuallity the fuselage skin part held the shape very well. Also there is a fwd bulkhead section that butts up the the engine bulhead that made the aft bulkhead stick out the back beyond the connector strips. I wasn't sure if this should've been so when I sanded the part to fit inside I made it fit into the fuselage section with the connector strip outside. This may bite me later but it seems like it might work. The next bulkhead is the after cockpit wall so this might come out aas I planned. I don't have a pic of the internal structure but here is what I did to "countersink" it into the section ...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I added the little airscoop things to the section and this concludes teh details to the Beta section. Jeremiah says there will be exhaust stubs on the finished version so I'll wait for them to come out. They should'nt be too hard to retro fit later, I hope!

Attached Files:

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

excellent looking cowl! Those things can be tough!
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is looking great Ted - can't wait to see the rest!
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very clean work, Ted and a great looking cowl!
    Despite the little bumps in the road, your skills make this one smooth ride!8)

Itch'n for more!
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys, some more work for tonight, then a well deserved glass o' port, 20 year old tawny. Here are some cockpit parts ready to be assembled. I swapped a rolled tube in favour of the printed flat, and 3d'd the belt buckles...

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And then added glass to most of the instrumentation. Somewhere I'll add a throttle quadrant, one will come with the final kit, and put the parts together, and let them sit and dry...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Front Office...

Here is the finished cockpit, I added a throttle quadrant, Inspired by the one that comes in the GPM Avenger kit, I reasoned since the Gaurdian replaced the Avenger the "gas pedal" should be similar. Now 'tis time for a nightcap, more on the 'morrow....

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking forward view, g'night all....

Attached Files:

11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

what a grat model

nice work my friend i like the cocpit :)

whar can i got a copy of iT?
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Nicely done! Are the instruments designed as recessed like that, or did yo have to bash it?

13. Darwin

Darwin Member

From watching this build progress, I can tell I'm going to have to give the moths in the purse another airing once the kit is released. Great job, Ted.
  14. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Looking really good!! :)
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Good to hear from you Darwin, This'll definetly be worth the Moth airing. The instruments were modified, I printed an extra front panel, used the precision hole driller, backed it with clear plastic, although tape would've worked and sandwhiched it together. I added to the front of the instruments, if you do it from teh front panel backwards , say punch the kit part the add teh stuff to its rear, you may have a thickness that interferes with installing the cockpit.
    Anyways todays early offering is an update to the cowling. Jeremiah at Skyline is taking notes of some of the "bumps" and is making corrections as we build, and offering suggestions for building the Beta. He noticed the top cowl flap was missing and the exhaust stubs weren't drawn up yet. I went into the kit bitmaps and used the bottom cowl flap, and with just cutting and pasteing enlarged it to fit the top opening, worked out well. The exhaust stubs were a guesstimate on my part. I used the pic of the model at the start of the thread and figured I can modify something that is out there. I took the Me109G tubes and modified them to give a simple bend. They had to be cut after to allow for the curve on the exhaust port part, but overall they fit ok. Now on to *&#^^*&%*work, hopefully I'll be in a mood to continue later on tonight!

Attached Files:

16. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Ted, you already know this.. but you a doing a great work on this model. I love the cockpit! You just gave me more ideas for my next projects. Is one of the most beautiful cockpits I've seen around here.

I hope you have a great day at work, so we can follow you on this bird.
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

O C D

Obcessing & Compulsing again..., but the day job is getting in the way. This interferes with the build for the rest of us who are OC'ing to see progress in the Ironworks build. Please get lots of rest, don't overwork and get lots of exercise (i.e. building). We need to keep your OCD in peak condition for the duration...,

18. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This is really a great looking model and you're doing an inspiring job of getting it together. Those of us thinking of eventually getting one appreciate all your efforts!
  19. New Member

Great aircraft and great model. :)
    I must build something like this in future...
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Outta the Rathouse and back in the saddle...

Made it home @ 2345 est, a bit of ice to top off another harrowing ER evening, believe me this is nottin' like the show. Anyhows started on the next piece of fuselage back. This section holds most of the "meat" of the plane. Here the cockpit and weaponeer station sits on top of a Mk 41 Acoustic fish. The wing spar also bisects thru here, so it is a busy area. Here is the 1st step...

Attached Files: