Skylab 1:32 Scale Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Apr 15, 2007.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Surfduke, now that the Centrifuge Accommodations Module is not going to be launched, real science is taking a back seat to long duration missions. ISS is baciscally a dead duck without this module.

NASA is continuing building the ISS because it has signed agrements with the international partners to finish it.

I agree that space should be 'weapons free'. But I don't think that will ever happen, even todays ICBM'S launch into space then come back to earth.
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Well One Can dream!

I agree that We will never get the stars, (With our feet stuck in war mud, (LOL)). As for the ISS, Yes We are finishing the build for the others, (Not Us). It has been a dead end program from the start. Gore talked Clinton into it as a save the Russians thing. Wonder what kind of new space program hell We'll get, if that Media creature, (Hillary), wins the American Idol, (LOL)? Watch for the Russians to take control if We loose Our ride. ESA wins no matter what!

3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Got email from David W.

He has reviewed the model. We have a green light on the details. Need to add the misc. exterior parts & Interior work stations. The work will be completed and published this week.

4. jparenti

jparenti Member

All right! I've already got the interior bulkhead and living space walls finished. Still trying to figure out the display I want to use (cutaway, most likely, but I'm not sure where I'm going to cut the bulkhead to show it yet).
    I'm still trying to assemble the ATM, and I need to fix my goofs on the workshop body. I think I'm avoiding the struts for the ATM. I have stubby fingers. :)
  5. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

What really needs to happen is the commercial development in spaceflight. I think we are finally on the infancy of that. NASA really needs to function in the space program the way they function in the aviation field, as the leader in development in technologies that are then transferred to the commercial sector. That's why our commercial aviation industry has done so well over the years, engine, materials, aerodynamic advances made through NASA and former NACA research that was transferred to the commercial sector and implemented.

The big problem is that we have had our space program, and vehicles, designed in recent years more by congress and less by engineers (scary, primarily lawyers trying to do technical work). We have to realize that to do the things we want in space, we can't depend on one launcher or type of vehicle to do everything, like was tried with the shuttle. The shuttle is a remarkable vehicle, and considering the compromises made in it's design, it has done well. But, you don't make an 18 wheeler a people transporter. Being a shuttle flight controller, I appreciate what it can do, and it's limitations. Unfortunately, we didn't learn from the compromises of the shuttle, and made the same, or worse ones, all for political reasons. We never should have gone to a 51.6 degree inclination orbit, it seriously cuts our payload to orbit capability, limits launch windows to roughly 10 minutes, etc.

The truly ironic thing in the coming CEV is that those legacy things that we will keep from the shuttle program are the things that we didn't want in the first place (SRBs instead of liquid boosters and the ET to name a couple).

But, untill our general population decides to put priorities on things other than the entire entertainment industry, and prioritize that which is really important (better pay for teachers, development of technology, etc) I'm afraid we won't see the things we'd like. Face it, unfortunate as it might be, the average person would rather see us fund a new football stadium, even when the current one is more than adequate, than even fixing their roads. They'll pay a mediocre actor millions yet barely pay a teacher of their children enough to live on.

I better get off the soap box.
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I agree

Well, that's the sad thing on programs gone wrong, and the ISS certainly is one of them...

Setting priorities has been a major problem for government programs of any sort, whether its a space program, social welfare etc... (here in the Philippines, this is a major headache, with almost all projects that could benefit many end up either unfinished or not started at all)

And unless people set concrete priorities, we are going nowhere...
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Just so you know...
    I haven't forgotten to post pics of my build! I've sort of stalled on the Skylab model this week. (71-hour work weeks will do that to you. :) ) I'll get back on it as soon as I get a chance though. I want to get to the LRV and ASTP as soon as I can! (I'm also missing the heat shield on the CM and I have yet to start the SM. You stay plenty busy Carl, and we appreciate all your hard work. You also keep us busy!) :)
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'll Be standing by!

Take Your time. I would love to see the finished product, (When You have the time).

9. jparenti

jparenti Member

I hate to bother you, since everything you're doing is so great, but are there going to be any instructions for Skylab? I stalled on the ATM and was just wondering if anyone was working on it.
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I put all of the info together, (But for got to get it to Mike V.). Give Me till Tuesday, (I will get it off the desktop computer running, (and send it to You and Him)).

Thanks for reminding me,

11. jparenti

jparenti Member

No rush at all sir! I'm just happy to have everything you're making available.
    My build of Mercury will be next. I've perused the file and let me say, it is fantastic!
  12. simonbp

simonbp New Member

Any news on the Skylab instructions? No rush, I still have to start on the CSM...

Simon ;)