Skylab 1:32 Scale Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Apr 15, 2007.

1. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Love it! Remember, you can't spell crap without RAP! :grin:

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I will commit that one to mem. I love it!!

We have prob. made some folks mad, (Sorry if My non-p.c. self has creeped out, (LOL)).

3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

You already know how I feel about funding for space...I'm right there with you.

And about having to be p.c. ...You're in America now...Though few are defending our right to free speech any more, we shouldn't be afraid to say what we think is right.

As for Skylab... Jparenti's build is making me drool. Great job by both modeler and designer.
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I know that the cyber world is full of mines, (LOL)!

Go Nasa!!!!

5. jparenti

jparenti Member

(smacks self in forehead)
    Somehow, I figured the cylinder was upside down. Which is why all those parts aren't glued together yet. :) I was smart enough to attach it temporarily with Scotch tape for the photo. Thanks for the input, too. Now I can get that fixed. So far, so good. I can't find any fit problems, through that lower bulkhead dome was a bear to get just right. I think I'll redo that part and see.
    And as far as computing power... You should see underneath the desks in there. It looks like Mir, with wires hanging everywhere. I'm sure none of the computer techs we have know anything about aesthetics. ;) (I made that joke at work once, and no one knew what Mir was. Oh, well.)
    I'll be starting on the ATM for a change of pace. Please let me know if I get anything wrong, so I can correct it quickly. This is not the final build, so I won't be unhappy if I get criticism. Quite the opposite. :)
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

Oh, by the way Carl: Speaking of rants, look at this pic I just found. I don't believe I've ever seen it before.
    Apparently, someone in the mid '60s thought up a way to send a manned spacecraft on a Venus flyby mission. Guess what they were gonna use as a spacecraft??
    You have an idea how angry it makes me to know that we could have been orbiting Venus in 1973, had a permanent space station before the ISS, and would have been putting down footprints on Mars before 1990. And we threw it all away? :mad:
    Okay, I'm done ranting. Back to the build!
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Nice find jparenti. I agree with you about the space program, the design's were there but the money wasn't.
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Yes That was a cool idea!

I have read about it before. Skylab was our last gasp for the program. The shuttle grabbed all the cash from then on. ASTP was a stunt, (Not a mission). As for the future, (No Bucks, No Buck Rodgers!!). We are to busy looking at how fast corn moves thru our national body, to eat, (The Shark must swim to breath, (What We have here, (Is a dead Shark, (LOL)). The Ares I is dead, (It will be let out of the bag, on the 23rd of May). I look for Space X to move on pad 40, like fly's on a dead cow this year. The Dragon, & a scaled down CEV, (On Atlas V), will take over the ISS Cargo & Crew missions. The CEV, & new Ares IV, (Yes I wrote IV, (Not V)), will be built, (and on the pad by 2014, (Things will start to speed up, with shuttle retirement, (and the comm. folks working the ISS grunt work)). With this plan, We may have a good chance at going back to the Moon, (and soon the VAB could be back to real work, (V.B.'s vision just may come true)).

Keep Your figures crossed,

Can't wait to see Your Model progress.

The Venus Mission was a cool idea, (The problem was what was the mission?, (long dur. mission beyond Van Allen Belt, was the only real goal)). It would have laid the ground work for a Asteriod or Mars mission.
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Tell Your Work Mates, Mir is still flying, (It's called the I.S.S./Mir 2, (LOL)). Skylab was way more roomy. The station is a joke, (Russian Welfare). We need to finish it, and use it for a research base, (For long dur. flight). The Post Commies, are going to turn into bad roomates soon, if We loose our own ride to that tin can. It is important that NASA hire a private ride quick.

10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Surfduke, I agree. I think NASA will lose it's seats on soyuz soon after the shuttle retires. And 4 years to Ares I is a long time.

Everyone keep an eye on russia, things are starting to heat up now.
  11. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I think retiring the shuttle and waiting 4 years for the Orion is a bad idea, not only do they loose 4 years of productive spaceflight, but also the will surely loose the shuttle's one irreplaceable capability: payload download...

they cannot bring back huge payloads back to earth anymore (i.e. station modules and equippment, satellites etc.) for repairs.

Think about it, what if the ISS is hit with a small asteroid or space junk and suffer some significant structural damage?, well thier solution maybe to detach the damaged parts and launch new ones, but it will cost more than sending a dedicated spacecraft to repair it rather than replace the whole part, since a vehicle like the shuttle can bring tools and supplies for this job... plus simply sending a useless part overboard will cause a serious space junk problem in the end...

plus, what's gonna happen to the MPLMs once the shuttles' say bye-bye? who will launch them? or will they end up as scrap? I hope not, since they make good additional modules for the station, increasing its habitable volume and experiment sites...

I think spaceplanes should not be taken out of the whole space program, I think that people should still research on them...

in my opinion, spaceplanes are, by far, the space vehicle with the most promising of potentials (not to mention looking very cool at launch and landing) :-D
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Guess I helped send us into a O.T. orbit, (LOL)!

I will hold back on My comments in the future. But I really do think We need to get more vocal on this subject, (With Congress, Our Allies, and The Children of the World).

13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The shuttle hasn't really brought anything big back from orbit, except LDEF. Only payloads that went up on the mission have ever been brought back, i.e. space lab. Apart from LDEF nothing has ever spent time in orbit, then been returned by the shuttle. Even Hubble telescope is going to be burned up.

As for the MPLM's there is talk at the moment to see if 1 or maybe 2 can be adapted to stay in orbit before the STS is retired. They would need a lot of work to stay in orbit for a long time.

And if the ISS is damaged, no new modules are going to be launched when STS is retired and russians havn't got the money. Nasa is planning on pulling out of the ISS program in 2016, so if it is damaged I think NASA will just pull it's people off the station.

I do like the shuttle but it has had it's day (to costly, not safe and never met its targets i.e. 24 flights+ every year) and it is time for something new. Let's see what happens.
  14. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've always said if the Red's wanted to win, they had to let peace break out and we would defeat ourselves. Must have said it too loudly with the wrong person listening. Algore will have us back into a third world economy soon, and what really frosts me is most of the hippie wanna-bes will feel good about it. It makes me sick every time I think about it...we should be making plans to mine the asteriods by now, not speculating on when (if ever) new footprints show up on the moon.
  15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Right On Darwin!

I Miss My Father, (I know He is rolling in His grave, with ISS cock-up, (You should Have been there the day Stafford shook that hand on ASTP)). We had to lockup the Wiskey that night!!!

Darwin - It's De-Evolution, (LOL)!!

Don't get Me started on the Tenn. Robot Gore!! Yes the Earth is warmer! You have the Great lakes where Ice used to be, (LOL). Man may be screwing things up, (But We have these thumbs that move in a way that lets us build things, (i.e. Space Craft), to overcome, the outcome).

Remember what Sir. A. said:

"The reason the Dinosaurs are gone, is they did not have a space program"!

I can see it now, (a Cock Roach News Cast Fella in the dist. future):

"Research shows that Humans died out to due Funding Short falls, in a space program, (And something called The Great Soc. Program)! Film at 11:00pm"

16. Hans Christian

Oh I see, so the download capability wasn't fully utilized after all...

Well good thing they are reconsidering the fate of those MPLMs... it would have been a waste...

NASA is actually planning to pull out of the ISS program that early? Oh boy, I know they screw up on some things, but I never thought of this... Well, if they are planning to do so, then why do they still continue to build it today? (well I can't blame them, since the ISS is costing NASA some truckfulls of money), but still, keeping a space station orbiting is very useful, especially for scientific experiments...

but the sad thing is, it all boils down to money...

and if that's that, we may actually end up like the dinosaurs...

I think people's (those profit hungy businesses and their no good executives) lust for money will kill all life on earth in the end... its not a matter of if, its a matter of when...
  17. Hans Christian

that reminds me, everytime I hear the word "profit", I get irritated...

maybe its just me, but for me, the word profit is the best word to describe selfishness among people...

18. Hans Christian

ok back on the subject :-D

just a silly question sir Carl, how big is your skylab? :twisted:
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Point!

I am a open source fella myself, (LOL)! The ISS would stand a better chance if the main bill was not being paid by NASA alone. If We are going to go somewhere, sometime, soon, It would be a good idea to beat the swords into plows, world wide! I do not mind a future with a one world space program, (I only want everyone to share the bill). I would also feel alot better if the Military, (World wide), was excluded from the projects. ESA & Brazil have the best spots for launch, (Just ask the Ruskies, (LOL)). Then there is always the Space Elevator, (Won't make good model material, (But it would be a great place to start holding hands, (Without guns))).

20. Hans Christian

Yeah, space is a better place without conflict...