Skylab 1:32 Scale Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

The Exterior is Done!

I will try and have it over to the host by sunday. The Paint work is done. The only thing left is the numbering of parts.

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Rev 5 has been sent to the host, (Moonport Page). The only thing outstanding is the forward truss struc.. I am having some problems with it. I will get them worked out today. Please take a look at the exterior skin. Tell Me if this is the look We are shooting for.

Have a great Sunday,

3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Rev 3 has now been replaced with Rev 5
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will get the Forward truss work done today!

5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Got the truss worked out!

I will have it painted and published in the morning! Sorry for the wait Guys/Gals. It was a real Bugger!! I am adding the ant. & Misc. exterior stuff too.

The telescope mount will not be moveable, (Like the real hardware). It is designed to be in the deployed pos. only. This May be a problem for those wanting to build with a cutaway shroud. I will see what I can do, (after the on orbit version is finished).
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The Full Station is Flying!!

Just sent Rev6 to the Moon Port!! It has all the files You need for the full model. The Instructions will be done soon.

Thanks for waiting,

7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

And it is now ready for download.
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Follow up update

The instructions for Skylab and the SM should be up soon too. After a year of research I think that the Skylab project is finally almost finished. I would like to thank everyone Who has helped with research information,

Jon, Joy, David Weeks, and a great many others, on the Space History Group.

This was a project that had a lot of starts, and stops, over the past year or so. It is a labor of love to draw this little slice of history. There are still interior details, (That I will add as addendum's later on). You should be able to add them in after Your build. It is laid out for You to leave off any of the (4) inner bulkheads, & outer skins for internal viewing. If You wish You can build it as a exterior display only. As this is still a Beta, (Let Me know if You find any color or detail changes). I also still have a few small exterior elements to add, (But this too should not effect Your builds, (You can add them on as they come out). The solar panels attached to the telescope show some darker panels on the ends of (2) of them, (In published pictures). This does not appear in all photos, (So I chalked it up to lighting angles, (and did not included). I still need to do the Sun Shades, (I Will offer the failed parasol, and the rigged Mylar sail, (You can decide which You want to include on Your build)). The launch version, (Under shroud is going to be a pain). I was thinking that if Ton is interested, (I could send him the files to modify, (Reconfigure, and scale), for His payload version). If not I will try to revisit this subject later on. Ton seems to have a better handle on the development of shrouds and cones, (than I).

Well hope You folks have fun with this one,

9. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

10. jparenti

jparenti Member

Once again, a great model. We've come to expect great things from you Carl!
    I'm starting to print today. :)
  11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

David Weeks has been ask to do a review, (I'm sure his knowledge base will be the best for the task)! The missing exterior & interior parts, + instructions will be released soon.

12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Good lord, where are you getting the reference pictures for this? :) It's amazing the detail you're digging up already. I can't even find a single good picture on the net of the outside skin so I can put the parts together. (Maybe my internet search skills are just bad...)
    And while I'm on it (and I know instructions are coming, and I'm not being impatient), how do the pages 43 through 48 go together? I know it makes one big cylinder, but I can't quite figure out the order. The rest of the parts make sense so far, so I'm not having any trouble yet.
    Okay, so I'm not impatient, just eager. ;)
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thank You!

David Weeks has the files right now. I wanted His review before I finished the instructions, and Exterior detail parts. He should get back with Me today.

The Lunar Rover will be finished tomorrow, (and I am working on stuff for Mike V., to finish up instructions on other projects too).

You are safe building the model with the published parts, (You have so far). Part 88, 88a, 89, & 89a, are assembled into the top lab cylinder skin. The glue tabs 88b & 89b, are attached to the bottom of this cylinder. Parts 90 thru 93 are assembled into the botom cylinder, (Glue tabs are attached to the side that they are published next to). Glue part 90 thru 93 cylinder to bottom of part 88/89 cylinder, (And You have the exterior lab skin). Part 90 thru 93 top is the top of page as published. Top of part cylinder 88/89 it left of page as published.

Hope this helps for now.

Thanks for waiting this one out, & Update You in the morning,

14. jparenti

jparenti Member

Just got the main body together and fitted the forward shroud and MDA to it. So far, so good. I'm working on the bottom exterior bulkhead now.
    I'm just dry fitting the components right now, so the patterns may be off, but hey, it's just a beta build. :grin:
    Be gentle with the criticism. It's late (well, early) and I'm pretty tired. ;)
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool build and a cool picture too!
    It looks like it went together pretty well to me.
    Looks like NASA control in that picture!
    Very nice background for the model! Well done!

16. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks for the comments. In case anyone is wondering about the background, I'm working in the Johnson County Sheriff's Office in Illinois, as a dispatcher. At this time of night, it's basic station-keeping, which is perfect for building models. Sometimes I even actually have real work to do. ;)
    Yes, it's kind of strange, but I'm sort of getting paid to build models. :)
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

We will not tell anyone!

WOW! Looks like Great! It is going to be a monster model!

Hope the solar panels will be strong enough. I may need to add some stiffners.

18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

One note

The top cylinder is upside down. See the attached picture. The white squares are designed to be at the top, next to the shroud. A note on the shroud, (If You have not already done this), The square is to be cut down the center, top, and bottom. Then score the sides and fold inwards. This will create the acess hole for the hatch to be viewed below the shroud. I had a hell of a time researching that area.

Great work!!!!

19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

It's kind of funny. There's probably more computing power in jparenti's pic than they had to launch Skylab or the Apollo missions....

Model looks good, even if it is wrong... ;)
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Your right!

Thank God For the $1 in, $60 out, Spin-offs!! If We spent the money put into Midnight Basketball, Basket Make 101, & Snail Darter Research, (We would have had boots on Titan by now).

Damn it is a shame that We are still stuck in this gravity well, with the Hip Hop Crap. We had a real Space Port!!!!

Call Your Congress Person! Tell'em to get off the Funds! We need a future, (That gives back, (Not hands out, gimme-gimme)).

Sorry for the rant, (Back to Our Regular Programming)!