Sketch-Up by Google

Discussion in 'Software' started by fasteddiexx1, Mar 20, 2007.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

And I didn't think the "blasted heath" look would catch on for interior design -
    I also hadn't thought of doing a living room in it.

2. Maurice

Maurice Member

They're an odd bunch in Melbun. Charlie, think gothic. :grin:

Thanks for the confirmation on Sketchup, I haven't made a full comparison of progs but thought it was so.
    Now about these mythical good old days of traditional card-modeling techniques. Neither such times nor any unique techniques existed.
    Before computers people did what they do with computers. They used what they knew and had in order to achieve what they could. Now old diehards may refuse to move on to the computer age but our young don't have much choice, they're where our species is at now.
    What do you think that there was in antiquity that would be useful to you to know ?
    I mean I could waffle on (endlessly) but might well misunderstand what is wanted.

3. goney3

goney3 Member

Well Maurice, I am sadly going to have to disagree with you on that.
    Take a look at this tutorial on "Designing Without CAD" thread:

As well as my endless search for books:

With the emphasis on Pepakura and 3D models ... the knowledge of how a model goes together, part creation, and more importantly layout, are getting lost to the ages. :(

To be able to look at a 3-view drawing and go "hey, that would be easy to build" is beyond most people my age. The creative stagnancy of my generation is astonishing. So much in fact, I call them the "Generation of No Creativity"... Remakes, rehashes, remixes, bringing back old styles, movies, songs, etc. If you sit a young guy down today and ask him to come up with something new, well, they are going to have a real hard time of it.

If the design methods of yesteryear die with them, then how can anyone learn from the past? Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hey, a tool is a tool is a tool. It still needs a brain to make it do something useful. This idea that computers destroy creativity is a nonsense. I bet there were cavemen whinging at Tharg because he was using those new-fangled flints when everyone knew a 'real' craftsman used his teeth..... Maurice, I'm right with you on this one!

5. goney3

goney3 Member

Whoa! Time out!

I never said computers destroy creativity!

What ever the case may be (television, mass marketing, social disorders, etc) we're in a generation that has the appearance of non-creativity. This has NOTHING to do with computers other than methods and techniques that are used for a "classic" paper model, and are VERY different than those of "modern" 3D paper models.

Since the old ways are not well documented its a fear of mine that the way of looking at things will be lost to the ages unless someone writes it down.

A great example of this is the new booster NASA is trying to build. They had to go back to meuseums to look at the Saturn V because no one knew how they did stuff.

This is NOT an attack on 3D software (SketchUp, Pepakura, etc) but was a request that some of the more senior members of work towards teaching us "whipper snappers" about the ways of old. If anything, we children might learn something to carry with us into the future... even if that is how to carve something with your teeth (which actually sounds quite impressive) ;)
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Old methods

5 decades ago I was an old fashioned draughtsman and although I admit some days I wish I had some of my old tools it was damn time consuming work. These days I can draught in 3d and spend a lot more time doing the enjoyable bit building the model. If the world runs out of electricity then all the old techniques still exist and we would adapt backwards pretty easily but without the net we would be "lonely" doing it and having half the fun.

Now anyone who can be bothered to learn can automatically get a 3d impression of a 3 view just by postioning enough dots.

Having been relieved of the drudgery your mind can wander through all sorts of designs.
  7. goney3

goney3 Member

Sure thing Barry, and this works for you very well.
    I on the other hand (and I assume i'm not the only one) have difficulty switching from a "sketch it on paper, then turn into 3D" mind set. As the old ways are more labor intensive, at least the means of seeing and working with your own hands is still available. :)

You also need to not assume that everyone has a computer and internet access. As 90% of the world lack these things... yes, one in every ten people even have a computer to begin with (citation)

Written instructions, tips, and techniques are still needed as the rest of the world ages and people like me take over (having no clue on how to do it). The spirit is willing to learn, just no one wants to step up to the plate and teach. Its kinda sad really. :cry:
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

I apologize to everyone for hijacking this thread... I wish to return it to its initial discussion regarding SketchUp.

Many thanks :)
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

It is beyond most people of any age to be able to say that and to be right. Only a relatively small percentage of the population has the necessary spatial visualisation abilities. Which is why Sketchup and similar are so handy for architects builders and sales people to sell to clients

Not so. I've seen people try and be variously ignored or trodden on, sometimes by ignorance.

OK so I've got your point, I see where you're coming from, I'll try and set out the history and theory, but it may take a couple of days, summat else just came up. I'll start another thread.

Ahh. All is revealed, I thought there was a glimmer lurking in the past.

(I used to know Tharg, nice bloke, completely misunderstood by our contemporaries, limited language skills you see, couldn't get his point across.)
  10. goney3

goney3 Member

Hi guys, I installed and ran the new version of Google SketchUp 6 (free) last night... way nicer than my old SketchUp v4. ... when you first load it up it will give you an immediate walk through of the basics on modeling and moving around in a 3D environment. It also lists several tutorials and videos you can look into. This is a great starting point if you want to get into 3D with all the available information on it.
    The new version of Pepakura is also very clean and nice... is amazing what a year or two can do to an updated program ;)
    I'll try and see if I can get some screen shots up here later tonight (I have to work late at the office so no guarantees yet). Cheers! :D
  11. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

Goney, YOUR AWESOME!!!! The one model that would be great to do as a Card Model would be this one. :grin:

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Goney, try the materials too! If you save the model as a kmz version 4 file, Pepakura opens the model with all the bitmaps still in place. There are several expansion packs of materials on the SketchUp website, so don't forget to download and install them as well.

13. goney3

goney3 Member

Yikes, that looks a little complex for a run through ;)

The trouble with sketchup modeling is that you have to think like paper ... what curves can I make, and what pieces do I need to detach from the model to be that way? ... a good example is my building that I put together. I had to detach the roof dormers so Pepakura could unfold everything correctly (even though they looked fine in SkethUp).

Jan Rukr of Aliens Papercraft wrote in his tutorial that its best to split the model up into modules.

A good start would be to take that SketchUp model, lower the detail on it, and get the sections split up. You'll find when you put it in Pepakura it'll be a lot easier to unfold and understand what you're seeing. :)

I encourage you to read Jan's tutorial, but be aware that its pretty outdated (in fact he's using Pepakura back when it was called Tenkai) but the methods are still about the same :)

Same with Ericks excellent tutorial (especially with Pepakura)

I'll try to make up something easier to follow and get some screen shots up... if anyone wants to join me on this feel free. ;)
    I'd like to address questions first instead of just "putting up a tutorial" (which most people wont be able to follow)

So yeah, any SketchUp questions and specifics regarding SU to Pepakura? :D
  14. goney3

goney3 Member

Are the bitmaps orientated correctly or is that something really easy to fix in SU? :)
    Thanks for the tip, I'll go and check out their expansion packs now! :-D
  15. goney3

goney3 Member

Man, you MUST check out what the Kerkythea guys did with this!
    I wish it was in paper though :-D
  16. goney3

goney3 Member

17. Maurice

Maurice Member

I would have thought that was the point with paper model design ...

Anyway, in fact we don't need a seperate thread it's already been covered here
    and here
    just widen your search terms from "where can I find exactly and precisely what I want" to "where can I find that which can be adapted to my very specific needs"
    goes back at least 8 years to give interesting insights into peoples' experiences, views and preconceptions during their transition from manual to computer design.

It's interesting that Jan never worked out how to complete extraction of the dropship from someone else's mesh or how to substitute his own original mesh.
  18. goney3

goney3 Member

Maurice, no need to have a bad attitude please. We're all here because we love this hobby and making designs using paper. Please be respectful to us and others who are wanting to learn. Thank you.
  19. Maurice

Maurice Member

What a quite extraordinary reaction to an attempt to be helpful.
    Pardon me for for occupying virtual space.
    I will leave you to continue to practise your policy of demanding that knowledge confine itself to the limits imposed by your preconceptions.
  20. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Doesn't sound like he's having a bad attitude or being disrespectful at all. Where'd you get that? I mean, it laced with smilies.