Sketch-Up by Google

Discussion in 'Software' started by fasteddiexx1, Mar 20, 2007.

1. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

2. rowiac

rowiac Member

Try exporting from SketchUp in .3ds, .obj or .dxf. I just tried the B-2 Sketchup model in .3ds and Pepakura Designer opened it. The textures didn't come through, though. I'll need to play around with it some more to figure that out.

3. diamondback

diamondback Member

Don't think SketchUp free edition'll let you export 3d, at least my copy doesn't seem to support it.
  4. goney3

goney3 Member

You guys need to use the SU2KT exporter :D

Its for use with Kerkythea a FREE high-end rendering platform. I believe it exports as xml data which can be converted using other software that is out there. Plus you'll have ALL the 3D info in the file (sun, sun position, lights, shadows, textures, etc)

There is a very active user forum for SketchUp and 3D (including the free version of Google SU):

I encourage you to look at their gallery ... it'll blow your mind away at how easy it is to make amazing looking 3D with all free software. The trick now is to get it to PAPER!!! :twisted:
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Ooooooooooooo, the Firefox!!! Pleeeease tell me someone is working on a model..... [​IMG]

Why, oh why, did I uninstall sketchup??
  6. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

Thanks for the info goney3, I'll play around a little more with it. Maybe I can get one of the artists at work to figure it out :twisted:
  7. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

Hi, Doing some searching I found some helpful stuff in here. Part of an article that this process was found in, Thanks :-D

8. Gravitic Anomaly

Gravitic Anomaly New Member

You can export a SU file as a google earth file and then open that in the latest version of Pepakura.

- Tim B
  9. papertrain

papertrain Member

is the Pepakura a free program or is there a free version
  10. goney3

goney3 Member

This only works with the newer versions of Pepakura ... something which I need to get now that I think about it ;)
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

It costs $38 ... which isn't bad for what you get to do with it! :D
    Google SketchUp is free ... fun times!

Pepakura is fully enabled to try, but saving is turned off until you purchase a registration code.
  12. fasteddiexx1

fasteddiexx1 New Member

Well I tried out the Exporting from Sketchup as a Google earth4 file and was able to open it in Pepakura (latest version), but some of the lines were out of whack. It was just a simple box shape, just gott monkey a little more with it till I get the right formula I guess.
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I got the firefox to unfold into Pepkaura, but I have no idea what I am doing ($38 well spent, huh??) I ended up with a whole page of what looked like random parts...

But, the "quick tutorial" above worked like a charm!!
  14. goney3

goney3 Member

Don't worry gentlemen, I had the same "problem" ... its actually how you look at the "mess" that makes it work.

The tutorial with Pepakura shows you have to move the pieces in a more legible way... then adjust the tabs to make more since when gluing together.
    Don't forget to "Join Adjacent Isolated Edge" in Pepakura or else it'll look like the aftermath of a piñata!

Believe me, it took awhile for the light to turn on in my head (compared to other users who figured it out right away). A gentlemen by the name of Barry walked me through my first model with it, and now that I understand how it fits together its actually quite easy to use. :)

Feel free to read about my frustrations and enlightenment here:

I am also using SketchUp, but an older version exporting to 3DS (which gives interesting results sometime... Im excited about the new version being able to import the new version of SU models directly) :D

Let me know if you have any questions or frustrations!
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Random parts from Pepakura are usually caused by too many triangles, or an 'unwelded' mesh, and are common problems when using meshes that were designed for other purposes; ie games. To get the best out of it, you are better off designing the mesh yourself, for the purpose you intend, ie paper models. Use SketchUp to make some simple cubes an pyramids, do the unfold thing with them, see how it all works and gradually make the models more complex as you grasp better what is going on.

I know it is easy when you know how to do it, and conversely mind-boggling when you don't, but there is no other way; you just gotta practice!!

16. papertrain

papertrain Member

i downloaded them both today and tryed a few things,,,,,guess i have a learning curve to go thru. i had parts all over the place, BTW if you dont want to buy the full pap. you can still print things out untill you get the hang of it and see if it is what you want to use,,,,then pay the 38 and get the save mode and export mode....i used sketchup before google had it for free download....still the same program as before,,,you can go nuts with it,:twisted:
  17. barry

barry Active Member

First thing to do is to turn off the flaps until you can see your own bits more clearly after you have them lined then is the time to show the flaps.

I find them totally confusing
  18. Maurice

Maurice Member

In the caldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Dip in bucks of eight and thirty,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
    Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

apologies to the great bard

Meanwhile, at the risk of being helpful, I have heard that the demo of the cough up version of Sketchup will import from the free version and will run for 8 hours.
    Might be possible to import/export/convert/pervert a number of files in that time.
    And as a serious question, there are a number of quick architectural presentation progs around.
    Is Sketchup markedly superior to the others or are Google making the most of having their name on it ?
  19. gippolot

gippolot Member

...I just had three black and midnight hags appear in my livingroom?...
  20. goney3

goney3 Member

Nah, there are a lot better programs out there... SketchUp gets its fame from its very large and strong community. As well as all the training videos which are freely available (unlike other software that makes you pay $$$ to buy the DVD to watch, to learn, then see if you like it). I just think SketchUp currently has the best business model.

The videos make it understandable to use, and therefor make it appear to be a lot easier. If anything, the world owes a big thanks to Google and the SketchUp team for getting the "masses" into learning 3D... Free programs like Kerkythea are getting the masses into taking those 3D models and turning them into high-end photo realistic renderings. ;)

Unfortunately we still pay for Pepakura to get these beautiful models into something that we can hold in our hands. Luckily for us though, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like some 3D software packages! :)

But in the end, traditional card-modeling techniques are far superior. As a young guy in this hobby I lack the knowledge on how to go about doing that though. Hopefully the techniques are not lost to the generations.

Hehehe, any of you "old guys" care to write a book about it so I can buy it? :D