Skeleton Log Car Ideas?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Anyone have pictures or plans for a basic skeleton log car? I'm thinking of one about 20 or 24 feet long. I know that many of the logging roads just made their own, so I'm just looking for general pointers.

What size might the main beams have been? I'm thinking of three lengths of (?) scale 12" by 12" beams. I will post a mockup soon for critique.

In the meantime, I'm WIDE open for suggestions.:) Thanks!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Steve,
Here's one of my Skeleton cars, made by MDC Roundhouse 3 in 1 kits.

Shamus
skel.jpg

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
I Have Some Of Them!

Shamus, I have at least a half-dozen of those 3-in-1 cars. If I'm not mistaken, they're actually old time tank car frames, although they are super little log cars.

What I'd like to do is scratchbuild something a little more size-appropriate for On30, with the larger trucks, and a little longer, as the MDC cars scale out to about only 14 feet long or so.

Here's a shot...

Attachments

• mrlm15.jpg
    mrlm15.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 574

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
A Quick Mockup....

Here are a few shots of a skeleton car that I quickly threw together as a mockup.

Length - 20 scale feet...in O scale, 5 inches long.
Consists of three 1/8 by 1/4 pieces of basswood glued together, making the main deck (Joist???) 1 foot high by 18 inches wide.
Here's a view from the top.

Attachments

• skel mockup top.jpg
    skel mockup top.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 567

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I shall be in the same boat as you soon when I start my 0n30 logging layout

Shamus
waver.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
your mockup looks good! Where 30", and 36" gauge are so close, you could go with On3 equipment on On30 trucks, or, extend your log cars to 26'-28' in length. The other way of looking at it would be, how long should the lumber be, that will come out of your logs. That would be the minimum length of the logs, and that would determine the length of your log cars.
Most small lumber lines built their own log cars on site, to fit their own needs, so size is arbitrary. Some good photos of the hardware would be helpful in building credible models. The dimensions of your timbers sounds just about right, 6" X 12", and the log bunks look real close to the right length, for the width of the car.
Pete

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Next Up...

The next time I can find a few moments, it will be the proverbial "litmus test" as I see if this car will negotiate an 18 inch radius, the tightest turns on my logging line. Wish me luck.

Here's a last shot for today.

Attachments

• mockup2a.jpg
    mockup2a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 288

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
I'm not sure how much On30 equipment you have, but, I chose to raise the couplers on all the Bachmann stuff I have, to a height that is the same as 3' gauge. The front coupler of the Mogul, was actually at this height. I haven't done the shay yet, but that will also be done.
I just figured that 18" above the railhead, was a little too low for the brakemen's comfort. They'd be filing workman's comp for back problems! :D
Pete