Sittin' pretty...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Erie Northshore 2-8-2 636 simmers on the icehouse lead, next to the parking lot of the Lowbanks station. She's in the clear for the morning mixed, expected soon if it's on time.
2007-01-10_214.jpg

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne:wave:, NICE SHOT!!!:thumb: , and thats a GREAT looking Mikado:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:. i REALLY like the canvas "sunshades" on it, NICE TOUCH!!!;):D
:D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Beautiful shot and engine!!!:thumb: I especially like the yellow striping .....and I agree with Deano, the canvas sunshades are a very destinctive and un-looked for (at least to me) touch:)
Great Work!!!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the kind words, guys. The picture is from a series of shots depicting the movement of a coal train off the TH&B interchange at Port Maitland. It follows the train through Lowbanks to South Cayuga/Cayuga Junction, where the train is handed over to the Grand Valley for a trip north to Mount Forest. I may post it at some time in the future, but it requires some severe editing, as it's over 140 pictures worth. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Doc,

I'm consistently impressed with both your modelling and your photography! Nicely done! Could we get some technical details? What's the model? Obviously you've spent quite a bit of time detailing it (to good effect!), but what did it start life as?

And what are you using to shoot these pics? You're getting great depth-of-field for what appear to be quite close-up shots... my little digital doesn't render that nicely that close... and your lighting is great! Have you covered your photographic technique in another thread I haven't found yet?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Squidbait said:
Doc,

I'm consistently impressed with both your modelling and your photography! Nicely done! Could we get some technical details? What's the model? Obviously you've spent quite a bit of time detailing it (to good effect!), but what did it start life as?

And what are you using to shoot these pics? You're getting great depth-of-field for what appear to be quite close-up shots... my little digital doesn't render that nicely that close... and your lighting is great! Have you covered your photographic technique in another thread I haven't found yet?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know. :D

Beautiful shot of a beautiful engine. :thumb:

Val

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Squidbait said:
Doc,

Once again, thanks to all.
Squidbait, the loco is a modified Athearn Mikado, one of four in service on the Grand River & Northern Lake Erie (Erie Northshore). Outwardly, she's almost stock in appearance, as I've always admired the lines of most USRA locos.
You can read more about her and her sisters here:

Boosted output from an amplified Mike...

My camera is a Kodak C330, which I got last April. However, my old computer was incapable of retrieving the pictures from it, and I've only recently been able to view its output. This should help improve my results, as the first attempts, first seen very late last year, showed 601 pictures, of which 126 were totally unuseable, while another 34 might be salvageable with some editing. Of the "keepers", many are duplicates, too. I have since shot a few pictures for which I documented the settings, and viewing them has helped with setting up subsequent photos.
My photographic technique is more-or-less "shoot-and-hope-for-the-best". sign1 The first camera that I used was an even cheaper Kodak that I borrowed from my daughter. It had almost no options: disable the flash and allow either more or less exposure. I like it better than this current camera, as it was very simple to use and gave excellent depth-of-field, although this one is better for extreme close-ups. Unfortunately, she won't part with it at any cost. Hopefully, I'll get better as I get more comfortable with the camera and its capabilities. The lighting is simply the layout room lighting: sixteen 4' double fluorescent fixtures, using cool white tubes, and installed above a suspended ceiling. The camera compensates for the colour shift caused by the lights. The camera is either on a tripod or sitting directly on the layout, and since it's digital, it's very easy to shoot pictures by placing the camera directly on the layout where it would be impossible to see through the viewfinder. I get a lot of rejects this way, but they cost nothing, and occasionally I'll get a unique view that even I have never seen.
This view is taken from the middle of the Maitland River: the aisle is to the left and rear of the bridge. Both of the locos, and the camera used for this picture, belong to my good friend cn nutbar, who often visits for photo sessions.
260406_042.jpg

This shot, with the camera sitting on the mainline behind the Lowbanks carshop, at left, looks in the same general direction as the previous picture. For that view, the camera was beyond the row of trees, behind the structure just visible between the stockcars and the red building at the right side. Again, the aisle is to the left. Btw, the unusual "cloud formations" in the background are to support the as-yet-still-unbuilt :rolleyes: second level, and you can also see some "Northern Lights" at the top of the frame. :D
100_56921.JPG

Wayne

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
doctorwayne said:
Btw, the unusual "cloud formations" in the background are to support the as-yet-still-unbuilt :rolleyes: second level, and you can also see some "Northern Lights" at the top of the frame. :D

Ah yes.... the dreaded "Strato lumberius" cloud formations... usually indicative of heavy overcast to come! :D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Squidbait said:
Ah yes.... the dreaded "Strato lumberius" cloud formations... usually indicative of heavy overcast to come! :D

Good one! sign1 Actually, the overcast will be mitigated by more lights (double 4-footers) suspended beneath the new benchwork, probably another 8 or 9 fixtures.

Wayne