Site fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickstef

Ron and I brought this same question to the masses, and there were some who liked the idea, and others who didn't.

I personally do not like the idea of a separate section, I've always liked that this site had a sense of community, even to the noob modeler.

Rick

I think, just give us an option to help. Those that can will. This a great site and we want to help keep it going, always. Best to all.

M

Mark_1984

I'm not keen on a separate section either.
I do like the idea of the Paypal donate button somewhere though.

Clashster

rickstef said:
I personally do not like the idea of a separate section, I've always liked that this site had a sense of community, even to the noob modeler.

Rick

Well said! The openness of this forum is very inviting to all (how many threads start - I've been lurking around a while - would those lurkers stick around if they saw a pay area?).

Chris

Jim Krauzlis

rickstef said:
Ron and I brought this same question to the masses, and there were some who liked the idea, and others who didn't.

Rick

I agree wholeheartedly...I don't want any locked doors keeping part of our family out! As was said earlier, those who are able to contribute should have an avenue (donation button) to do so, but I'm against the idea of having an exclusive area for "members only." We are all members here.

Perhaps offering some "pay for" models for those who are interested, with a commission going to the site's upkeep (hadn't known about that Amazon link before...I use Amazon A LOT!), with a free preview of what you're buying, perhaps, but the idea of having a locked door to an area of the site generally just doesn't sit well with me given the open and cordial atmosphere of this forum.

We have a uniquely friendly forum, all are welcome to share and contribute, as long as you register (and that's free!). Newbies are welcome and encouraged to participate, if they want; at least we allow all to come and learn about our hobby, and that is perhaps one of the best things about this forum...it opens doors to new enthusiasts to learn more about what we all love, building paper models. What better way to foster the hobby and help it grow? Putting up locked areas is not consistent with the current open door policy, and would change the overall nature of the forum. Don't throw out the baby with the washwater, folks!

Just my thoughts....

Cheers!
Jim

MOS95B

The other site I'm a major(?) member of is going through this same issue. The site owner finally admitted to having some issues with keeping up financially (why do the good owners always seem to do that?)

Luckily for that club, we have a few members that have designed, and sold, promotional merchandise (T shirts, hats, decals, etc). The staff over there finally talked the owner into accepting a $1 surcharge on each item sold, to go to site maintenance. He still won't let us just donate, though.

I bring this up because it is a fund-raising method that is self recurring. Every time someone buys a piece of merchandise, a donation is generated. While it may be a bit more difficult to implement that plan here, something similar could work better than hoping members remember to donate every so often.

Ideas I've had are a CafePress store, designers donating original models to a site store, or see if some of the more popular vendors would be willing to implement an affiliate program.

Just tossing out experiences and ideas.....

P

paulhbell

Ok. So I was wrong with the idea about the seperate forums, I was just trying to help the designers by getting forum members to contribute towards their models. It was just an idea, Just look at the time some of the guys/gals spend on designing models. 0.5 doller payment would help them.
And I am sure people would carry on following the build threads.

I would still pay towards the upkeep of the site though.

M

Mark_1984

It's always worth airing an idea Paul. Sometimes they sink, sometimes they swim. This thread just goes to show how honest and good natured all the members are - this forum must be quite unique in that respect.

Willja67

Well Paul I think some of the idea has merit like members donating models to be sold on the site and the proceeds go towards site upkeep. I have a project I've been working on and I think it might be a good candidate for for fundraising. Would anyone be interested if I donated this to the site when it's done? Maybe sell for $4-5 and all proceeds go to upkeep?

Attachments

• racer.jpg
    racer.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 56

Amazyah

I would buy one just on principle alone.
I don't need to get anything in return to donate, I would consider that a very nice bonus!

Russell

P

paulhbell

Same answer as Amazyah.

Will, if this plane is as good as the last Super Corsair, we are in for a treat. Have you started a build thread for it yet.

Willja67

I haven't even finished the design yet. Basically it's my concept of what a Super Corsiar would look like if it were modified for racing. It will be fairly simple compared to the other one (no engine, flaps, moveable control surfaces, or openable canopy) the only real option on it will be either gear up or gear down. I was going to sell it on my own for maybe a little more than I proposed in this thread but thought it would be a good way to help the site.

R

rickstef

MOS95B said:
Luckily for that club, we have a few members that have designed, and sold, promotional merchandise (T shirts, hats, decals, etc). The staff over there finally talked the owner into accepting a $1 surcharge on each item sold, to go to site maintenance. He still won't let us just donate, though.

Ideas I've had are a CafePress store, designers donating original models to a site store, or see if some of the more popular vendors would be willing to implement an affiliate program.

We do have a CafePress site, Ron set that up, I don't think we ever sold alot from there.

If Ron is ok with that, I am willing to manage the site.

Rick

Jim Krauzlis

What's the link for the CafePress site?

Jim

edit: I found it using Google...heck, I didn't even know there was one! Talk about low key advertising!:grin:
Here's the link:
http://www.cafepress.com/cardmodels
Maybe a link button on the first page and adding some other items, such as cardmodels, might be something to consider.

Jim Krauzlis

CardStalker said:
We need this link on the front page.
Absolutely...right next to the "Make a Donation" button.
Seriously, they should both appear on the home page...not surprised not many purchases have been made, I didn't even know it existed, and I've bounced around on this forum for a while.:cry:
Gotta get me a coffe mug...yeah, one of those big boys!:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

Well Paul I think some of the idea has merit like members donating models to be sold on the site and the proceeds go towards site upkeep. I have a project I've been working on and I think it might be a good candidate for for fundraising. Would anyone be interested if I donated this to the site when it's done? Maybe sell for $4-5 and all proceeds go to upkeep?

Count me in!
Cheers, Billy

Ron

Hi guys,

The Cafepress site never sold an item :) Rick, if you're interested, I'll see about the passwords etc for it. I still own the artwork and logo as far as I know and would have to arrange it's handling somehow. Let me know if you can
Ron

R

rickstef

Jim's purchase would the first one Ron.

Ron, just send me all the stuff if you want to my gmail account.

Rick

Ron

Darn, hold off on the purchases guys until I figure things out :) The profits might just be flying off into the ether somewhere. I want to make sure they go where they're supposed to. Give me a bit as I just sat down here
and my leg isn't cooperating too well :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.