Site fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willja67

Not quite sure this is the right category for this but I think it's something that needs to be addressed.

In the thread regarding spam messages one of our admins stated that he used some of his own money and certainly a huge chunk of his own personal time for the upkeep of the site and I'm sure that it's the same with the other admins. I personally felt quite a bit of shame for being a freeloader and would like to change that.

I would like to challenge all the regular posters to donate a minimum of 5 dollars to the site for upkeep and other needs.

Not sure how or where to donate maybe the admins can help on that one.

Clashster

Great idea, Will! I try and donate to the sites I download models off, so why not donate to something I spend much of my time on. This site has brought a lot of enjoyment and actually got me to finish a model for the first time in a long time! It could be a low key thing, something that won't put pressure on someone to donate. I have to say, "where do I send my donation?"...

Chris

B-Manic

Peripheral Visionary
I have wondered how this site is paid for. If a paypal account existed I would gladly contribute to the sites upkeep. This hobby and site are an important part of my life. I would hate to see it disappear.

that a good idea and fair one at that all the work to keep the site going ...and all we do is posted and download time to give something back :) were do i send it ............

Fishcarver

Count me (Jim) in: I don't pay Sergey and the TP Boyz enough to get them to chip in....:)

Perhaps Rick can set up a pay Pal account or something like that.

Just a thought!
JR

E

ekuth

Ditto! Paypal accounts aren't hard to set up at all.

How about it admins? You got people begging to give you cash here... :-D

T

Texman

A long, long time ago (at least in forum years), there was a button on the front page for such an action. Perhaps it is time to bring it back.

Ray

P

paulhbell

I am also a member on nasaspaceflight.com forum and they operate something like what is being talked about here. They have a public forum and a private forum that is payed for. The public forum is excellent but the private forum, called L2, is basically a front seat into the space industry offices. It works for them so it could work on here.

There could be a public area for every member to post in as happens now, but there could also be a private area to help pay for running costs of the site and also to eventually help with the designer's. A lot of the models that are designed on the forum are better than models that can be bought from stores on the internet. I know that some people would not like this idea as not paying for models is better than paying for them, but some of the guys on here put a lot of time and effort into designing models.

What ever happens the site/forum would get my money.

C

cgutzmer

Paul,
So you mean that possibly any members like Phil that have been building free models for people could have them only available in the executive lounge section? That is a great idea I think! It would be up to the designer of course but it would help them directly support something they love by doing something they love (gads using phils buzzwords now) heh heh and maybe get a few more people into designing some stuff. (not me!!!!) :D
Chris

Jim Krauzlis

I remember that button, Ray...not sure when it was removed, perhaps in the last move?
I don't think it's a bad idea at all to provide an avenue for those who can to help contribute to the cost of the website...I wouldn't make it obligatory, each guided by their own means. As a bonus, the pay for model section would be wonderful too, perhaps working the way a number of webshops do, you remit your payment and you get a digital model by email. It might even foster more incentive for designers, who should get a share of any payment, I think, for their time and effort, with a % going to the operation of the forum.

What say you, admins and designers?

Cheers!
Jim

Grizz

Hi guys,

Looking at it from a different perspective;

I am sure there all lots of people similar to me - I check this forum out daily but never have anything that I think would be valuable to contribute.

However, I would gladly contribute financially to support the time and effort of the few who freely give of themselves to help support and encourage the rest of us.
This way, although I am a weenie about sharing photos or modelling experiences, I would still feel like an active contributor to the forums.

Grizz

P

paulhbell

Chris, It would be up to the designer which area of the forum to put their model in. I know that most of the designer's like doing the models for free, but I think it would help them. The only problem with the pay for models section, would be copyright. A lot of models are star wars/startrek etc. Would selling these conflict with copyright's.

I would like to pay towards upkeep of the site though.

One of the moderators/admins could start a poll to see what everyone thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.