Sir Ralph Currell's N-1 - RESIZED

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, May 23, 2008.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

hey guys! sir Ralph's N-1 just got BIGGER :-D... from 1/144 to a more massive 1/96!!!

Now you can build sir Ton's Saturn V and sir Ralph's N-1 side by side! bounce7

Get it while it's hot!

for our newbie fellows, here's the link!

Welcome to :-D
  2. jparenti

jparenti Member

WOW. I have this model built in the original scale, but I'm gonna have to build it again so I can have one that's over a meter tall! :)

But where will I find a printer/cardstock that big? wall1
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Soviet N-1 Launcher Model 1;96 Scale by Ralph Currell

Hi Hans,

Thanks so much for this tip. This is indeed an impressive model build and a very fine design by Ralph Currell.
    I could either print it myself on A3 size or have the print shop enlarge it to A2 . . . we´ll see later.

It will rest for a little while in the 'to-do' pile of unbuilt models.

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi again,
    Re. the paper size:
    I 'translated' the size of this new model in inches, 13 by 18", to Metric centimeters and I got 32,5 by 45 cm and that roughly equals the slightly larger A3 + photo paper size, which is 329 x 483 mm.

This means I could get the full 1:96 scale model out of my size A3 printer.

5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

So you need an A3 printer to get it done?

John John
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi John John,

No, but it would greatly simplify the printing process with this many model pages/sheets. Alternatively, one could of course make new A4 pages and paste the enlarged parts onto them (maintaining control over the exact scale on all parts), but it´s a lot of work in Photoshop.

An advantage, however, of doing it that way is that you can determine the optimum paper grain direction for each part that is to be rolled or folded. 'Rob46' in this forum has a detailed tutorial on how this is done somewhere (I think in the 'Parts Bin' section), for those who would like to learn the method.
    I am a rather lazy guy, myself . . .

All the best from Stockholm,
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

...I used the 1/144 model and fit to paper option when I printed it to a 13x19 page last year, worked perfectly and it was enlarged by 158% so if you already have that option at a click away whats the point of the "new model"
    Not knocking the effort, Mr Currell is great

John John
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Good point, John John,

I actually thought about this myself yesterday - as the files are scaleable PDFs, the resolution is good in any size. I think the quality would be just as good from the original files with the proper enlargement for 1:96 scale (or any scale). It would have been an entirely different thing with JPEG files, where the resolution is so much more important for a resizing.

9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I just bought the Epson Stylus 1400 large format printer, but haven't gotten any large paper yet. I prefer Wausau Bright White card stock in 65 pounds. Can anyone tell me where to get this paper in A3 or larger sizes? If not, what's a good, smooth finish card stock in these sizes? Thanks.
  10. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Your best bet is to source it from a local copy shop or genuine printer supply store, just tell them what you want size wise and weight and they should be able to help you out.... its what I do, Independenat shops rather than Kinko's & staples are your best bet....

John John
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Larger Ink Jet Papers

Hi BARX2,

I buy my A3 and A3+ matte photo ink jet papers from several professional photo suppliers here in Stockholm. The reason I do that is that I have tried many different papers and the ones that have the deepest blacks and best colors are always the matte photo papers. Thus, after some initial testing of the register of the black ink in the different papers surfaces but also the reflective white color of the papers themselves, I usually buy my (matte, thick) photo papers in 230 grams/m2 weight, in large boxes of 50 or 100 sheets (no-brand) for the really large models or for parts that need to be really sturdy. However, lately I tend more and more to use photo papers that are thinner, like 160-175 grams/m2 weight.
    They are much easier to roll and form and are perfect for airplane 'skins' or rocket launcers, for example.
    So, my advice to you is this: try some heavy-weight matte photo papers. I think you will spot the difference rightaway when you compare it to regular card stock or bond paper that hasn´t got the white surface which has been specially treated for ink jet printer inks.

Best of luck with your BIG prints!
  12. Hans Christian

I'm definitely gonna build these... now that practically all Soviet and American Man-rated space vehicles are all online now... bpunce7
  13. davelant

davelant Member

Barx2, if I were you I'd try these guys.

MAC Papers: The Largest Supplier of Fine Printing Papers and Envelopes In The Southeast

As you can see, locations all over NC. I use their Birmingham shop for my cardstock needs. Wausau exact index 8.5x11, and 8.5x14 for printing out A4 sized paper model designs. I imagine 11x17 would be available also, and that might be big enough for that 1/96 N-1.

Bengt, as for the ink-jet photo papers you use; are there similar products suitable for laser printing?
  14. GreatDane

GreatDane New Member

Hi there!

I know I'm new to this forum, but I was surprised how fast you've already noticed the re-scaled N-1!
    You see: I always wanted to build the N-1 in 1:96 scale ever since I started building paper models, just about a year ago. (Yes, I started with real space models; actually the 1:96 scale Titan-Gemini by Precision Paper Space Models) Since then I started collecting every available paper model I could find on the net. As my image editing skills still are a bit limited (I know it's possible to rescale the files to just about any scale, as has been explained here previously), and I don't have an A3 capable printer at hand, I asked a nearby professional print shop to try and print the N-1 files rescaled to 150% (1/144 * 1,5 = 1/96 scale) but they rescaled them to 141% (rescaled A4 to A3 size) at first. Just recently, when I tried again they explained to my that they had to reconfigure the files (?) in order to get them rescaled to 150% with the grafics&print software they used (?). They willfully returned me the rescaled files as pdf files, wich I forwarded to Ralph, so it could be shared with others like me (newbee, eh?), and as a sort of appreciation for his lovely models!
    So, now everybody can have a 1:96 scale N-1 Nositel, without the fuzz of editing the files!

I do hope you will enjoy the model!
    The prints (I guess most of us -like me- will have to contact a print/copy shop to get the files on paper) will add another hefty stack of large format paper to go through. But it will be fun & impressive!

GreatDane, aka .... (Do I have to tell?)
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks for the information on the papers, everyone. davelant, thanks for the tip on MAC Papers. I'll call them tomorrow. And thanks GreatDane for making your resized files available! :)
  16. GreatDane

GreatDane New Member

Thank you BARX2!
    I figured there would be some interest in a resized 1:96 scale N-1. As it's one of the most common scales in real space models.

P.S. I've noticed you're quite experienced with building russian space models from Leo's site? They're awesome! :thumb:
    I'm currently building an R-7 Lunik model; a slighly altered version/combination of the Vostok & Sputnik models from the Classic Paper Space Models website. Progress has been stalled right now, but I hope to commence building it soon.

17. Hans Christian

thanks very much for the resize sir Dane!!! They look splendid!!! :-D
  18. BARX2

BARX2 Member

It's true, most of my models are 1:96. I'm looking forward to seeing your R-7. It's my all-time favorite rocket and I hope to build three or four more that I have on disk.
  19. BARX2

BARX2 Member

By the way, I called MAC Papers in NC today and I'll visit their warehouse next Monday or Tuesday. They don't have a retail store, but they will sell you anything you want at the warehouse. The guy I talked to was very friendly and had never heard of card modeling. I told him I'd bring a couple of models to show him how we use card stock.
  20. GreatDane

GreatDane New Member

@Hans: no need to call me 'sir'; GreatDane, or Olaf will suffice, or else I might become shy? Nice you like it though, that's what I did it for.:mrgreen:

I agree on your opinion about the 'Semyorka' (or Р-7 "Семёрка") it is impressive.
    Like I said, progress has stalled, but I will start a new thread when I commence building it. Only finished the 1st and 2nd stage main parts so far...
    -Warning: spoiler!-
    (just add this onto your Sputnik/Vostok model, and you're done!)
    Just did that with (my limited skills of) M$-paint.
    3 or 4 models?! I only know of the Sputnik, Vostok and Soyuz models. I wonder what the forth one is...