Silver Streak

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
On an unrelated topic, I have a Tyco locomotive inbound from an eBay auction. One of their fantasy roads, a "Silver Streak". Does anyone know what loco model this is??? The answer to that will determine what railroad receives said loco when it arrives.

Thx.

Attachments

• 23560silverstreakc430.jpg
    23560silverstreakc430.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 158
I've got the same one at my place. It came from a Tyco trainset about 20 years ago. Did you get the caboose along with it? The caboose was a slanted cupola with the same silver and red colors.

As far as the model, it resembles a smorgasboard of B-axled U-boats. Apparently, Tyco couldn't decide decide on what type of loco to model, so they made up their own. Only the front axle is powered. I haven't run this baby in years, and the last time I did it was the electric-razor-doing-laps-on-the-track routine. To be honest, I haven't taken it apart for maintenance either, so that will probably help. Mine had two speeds: on and off. However, I think that was due to the cheapo Tyco transformer that came with the set.

The paint is interesting. It resembles the ATSF passenger War-bonnet, but Tyco put the Union Pacific shield on the front. I know a railrod ran a "Silver Streak," but I can't recall who or when. I keep meaning to buy some HO snaptrack to get this baby running again, but I can never find a complete oval, or even enough parts in one place to make one without shelling out 50-60 bucks.

Tough little loco, BTW. Mine took the 500' drop so often that the engineer earned some frequent flyer miles. Never stopped running, but was real sensitive to gaps in the track. I'll have to look at mine when I get home to see if the rear wheels pickup electrons or are just there for the ride. Glad to see another one of these out there.

BDC

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Kewl. Thanks for all the info, guys. Indeed I am receiving the caboose as well as the engine. It was part of a lot of three engines and two cabooses. The description noted this engine lights up but doesn't work, so it is quite likely I'll just convert it to a dummy and repaint it for one of my fictional railroads. And the caboose too, I guess.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
The Alco C- 630 was a 6-axle locomotive wasn't it?
It was part of the "Century " series.
I believe C stood for century, 6 meant the # of axles, & 30 stood for 3000hp.

There was also the c-420, (4 axles - 2000hp), but that loco doesn't look anything like a C-420.
I'm betting that it's supposed to look like a GE...either a B-truck U-boat, or one of those newer B30-7's, or whatever they are.
I really liked BDC's "electric razor" comparison. I always remember my Tycos quite often required the "0-5-0" helper service! :D

It was supposed to be an Alco. And, yes, they used their 4 axle trucks under it. They did put their 6 axle trucks on their Super 640. That loco was never made either.

Hey, it was Tyco. It was a toy. Any resemblance between that and a GE is purely coincidental. Tyco called it an Alco.

Roger