Silver polish?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi all,

A recent article in Model Railroader talked about using silver polish on rails. It sounded like it worked very well with long lasting effect. Any one ever tried this successfully on nickel-silver rail?

Ralph

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
I have not tried it yet, but I plan to. It seems it may work very well. We used to clean and polish the stainless steel railing on our boat. It kept the railing clean and for quite awhile.
Marty

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Silver polish is good because it has a low abrasive quality to it. It is about the same as toothpaste. Just be sure to clean all the polish off or it will get into the gears and start collecting dust and other debris. A good non residue cleaner works good as a final "wash" to remove all polish. These are the electronics cleaner/degreasers like you find at Radio Shack. They can also be used straight, without the polish to clean track and wheels that are not overly dirty. So can denatured alcohol, but the cleaner works better. We started the whole "tuner cleaner/lube" discussion in another thread so I won't go into it here... ;)

Tom F

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Been away over the holidays so just caught up with this one. I've been using the "silver/brass" polish system for about a year now and then using the RS cleaner/degreaser and tuner/lube afterwards. Like TomF said, you need to get the polish off. Haven't heard any reason to worry about this approach and I like it because it's a low abrasive approach compared to others.
Regards,
Ted