'Silver' P-47D

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by John Griffin, Feb 21, 2007.

1. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I have finally finished assembling my 1/24 'silver' P-47D. I've put four pics of the build in my gallery ( http://www.cardmodels.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=15 )- take a look. It's a nice big fat model. The 'metal' effect is actually quite good, even though it's actually all artwork; although my mediocre camera work can't quite do it justice. The model looks especially nice with adequate light. I am making instructions now and should be done in about a week. After that I will offer a recolored version (olive drab). After that I never want to see another P-47 again... so I will be designing a tank (M-48).

2. barry

barry Active Member

Outstanding paint job
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

VERY Nice! So this is not really metallized paper? Could have fooled me!

4. Clashster

Clashster Member

Fabulous! The side view looks like a life size one sitting on the runway! Outstanding! And being a tank guy, can't wait to see that project! :wink: Thanks for the post!

5. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Nope, no metal or foil paper. It's just ink... that's why it took me so long to get it done (that, and laziness).
    I too am looking forward to designing the M-48, as it will be a completely different type of surface quality- rough and tough! Most of the hard work on that one I think will be the geometry design. The paint will be the fun part.
  6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

very nice model my friend
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Holy cow!!! [​IMG] I barely feel qualified to look at that!!!
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Alright John, I'm on pins and needles..................
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful work John! Just magnificent!

10. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Thanks alot! Anyone who wants one can get one soon from Gremir...
    As soon as I finish those instructions that is.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks super! Excellent work John
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Count me in for one too! Also if there is a tutorial on how you managed the bare metal look via printing, I'd love to know!
  13. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I WANT ONE !! :-D The tutorial would be almost as good as having one (subtle hint).
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

My guess................. A lot of hard work!

15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Somebody is Listening!

Hi John,

Wowsers, sounds like you've been listening in on the aluminum finish discussions. Congratulations on your work. I can fully appreciate the time it took to get it right..., What's really revolutionary here is that the need for aluminzed paper isn't required to get the aluminum effect. That should turn a few heads including mine...,

Best rergards,

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Gil, my head is turned completely around! There are alot of bare metal birds I have shelved until I can come up with a viable metal foil finish alternative!
  17. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Printing on silver paper is not a problem. problem is trying to build the bird under artificial light....
    I tried P-51D but I can't even see the contour lines!!!!
  18. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Well, sorry, I wasn't aware of a discussion on aluminum finishes, andI don't really have a tutorial. My basic method was to imagine the aircraft as a curved mirror. Over the details (rivets, panel lines, etc.) I added what environment would logically be reflected- sky mostly, and earthtone underneath; plus alot of hilight (white), especially on edges and sharp curves. since the real thing is not actually a smooth continuous surface (it is interrupted where panels meet and by stress puckers, etc.) the environment 'reflection' is somewhat broken up/sectioned and distorted as a result. I had to lower the saturation (color intensity) several times to make it more realistic looking. I think overall the model doesn't use much ink, as there is so much hilight/white. I think the larger scale (1/24) also helps the effect as it gives more physical space for a transition from one part of the scheme to another. Hmm... that's about all I can explain... alot of it was just 'work' as Bowdenja said... work and trial and error. What looked great on paper (or on-screen) often had to be looked at after assembly and then assesed as to how to adjust or change it. I imagine that to recolor it OD as I plan will be a snap in comparison. Sorry I didn't do a thread-as-I-went type of thing... I'm just such a lousy camera guy that I'd never have gotten it done if I tried that.
    I can't wait tp get on the M-48... it's just GREEN!
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Really cool John! I think I need to take some lessons from you on the finishing side of things.
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Superb model with superb finish!

Thanks for sharing John!