Silly Question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kjev, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Kjev

Kjev Member

I have sketchup. How do I get a model from sketchup into Pepakura, and how do I scale it the way I want in Pep? I did this once about a year ago, and I'll be darned if I can remember how.

Can someone have mercy on my swiss-cheese brain?
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Silly answer

You have sketch up !! say.. your my new best friend!!

Sorry K'jev, someone will chime in with the correct method.

Don't you have to export from Sketch up, to a google earth file ( not sure which format that is) Pepakura can import it i think.

In PEP unless its different in later versions,? There's a scale option ( to exact size) from the top menu

on the drop down menu select
    [Set Develpoment to specified size]
    enter required scales in pop up box.

3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

How... errr... I honestly have no clue on this one. Last time I touched Pepakura was when I was working on the RY... :cry:
  4. xavs

xavs Member

Ok you need to export your file to 3d model "in Google Earth 4" format ".kmz" I try it in sketch up 7 and it didn't work, so I stay with version 6.

On pepakura you can change the scale in 2d menu.

I hope this is usefull for you.
  5. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

XAVS is correct. I did find however the parts are a bit tricky when u "flatten" them out. it really depends on how well the Sketch Up model was done. Many many many parts and pieces and tabs has been my experience, but worth a go for sure.
  6. Kjev

Kjev Member

Crapola. I just "upgraded" to 7. Is it still possible to find SKetchup 6 out there?
  7. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

SketchUp Pro can export to the following file formats:

3D Studio:.3ds
    Google Earth:.kmz

Pepakura Designer can open the following formats:
    HexaGreat:.6kt, .6ks
    GoogleEarth:.kmz, .kml

That would make the .3ds, .dxf, .kmz & .obj the easiest choices since there wouldn't need to be another step. If someone else wants to chime in on which of these 4 would be the best...
  8. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

OBJ for me. Its the only one that can be opened by nearly every application that's 3D related.
  9. Kjev

Kjev Member

That helps, but I don't have Pro. Does anyone know where I can find SKetchup 6? (Please bear with me, I haven't tried hunting on Google yet)

(A brief time later)

Never mind. I found it. I think.
  10. Kjev

Kjev Member

Having it and being able to use it are two different things. :lol:

I'm in the process of downloading Sketchup 6 now to retrograde my machine tonight.

Thanks for the help, all. Hopefully I can transform a few of the freebies I've found to paper models.

I will make a "No Bones" disclaimer here:

The models I will be producing from sketchup I found in the Google Warehouse. I did not create them, I do not intend to make a profit from them, [hands on hips] etc. etc. etc.

That being said, I'm hoping I can produce a Starcraft Wraith fighter and a Warhammer 40K Argus. And possibly a few other things.:twisted: . . .
  11. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Best of luck Kjev! Looking forward to seeing your models.