Silicon adhesive?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Apr 17, 2009.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Canon recommends using silicon (not silicone) adhesive for its 3-D models. I have some silicone in a tube that can be used for waterproofing around windows, etc. Is it the same stuff? I guess I could give it a try, but I was wondering if anyone knows the difference (if there is any) between silicon an silicone adhesives. By the way, the stuff they call for is thick and builds up so you can use it as a spacer between different levels of 3-D models. Here's a snippet of the model instructions if it helps.

Attached Files:

2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

They might have left the "e" off at the end of silicon. Silicon is the element that according to my Periodic Table has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. Silicone (with an "e") is a manmade compound used in a lot of applications, notably caulking and adhesives, that has silicon as one of the ingredients. That is the way I understand it, anyway. Maybe silicon and silicone have become interchangeable over the years in reference to caulking and adhesive (or maybe the industry is trying to save printing costs by leaving out the "e" :rolleyes: :mrgreen: ).

3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. Cost savings! :) Yeah, I suspect you're right and it's silicone.
  4. treker2557

treker2557 New Member

Silicon caulk isn't a adhessive really for your purpose. I suggest just using super glue. Silicon caulking also will adhere properly to itself.