Signs painted on walls

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by spitfire, Dec 26, 2004.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Here's a great little idea for pre-weathering signs if you have Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

1) First I scanned the side of the building I want the sign to go on. That's to get the exact brick texture

2) then I create the artwork for the sign in Illustrator, and import to P'shop

3) In my Photoshop file I have the following layers from the bottom to the top:
    a - brick texture
    b - sign art - darken 80% opacity
    c - sign art duplicate - lighten 50% opacity
    d - texture layer - overlay 100% opacity

And here is the result - a perfectly weathered sign that exactly matches the brickwork of the building it's on.

This one is for a City Classics building. Feel free to download and use this sign if you want to.

Attached Files:

2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Ooooooooo Dat's Cool!!!! :D :D
  3. FiatFan

FiatFan Member

Outstanding work! Take the rest of the day off and play with trains. [​IMG]

4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Very nice Val. I will have to try my Corel Xara program to see if I can do it too. I don't want to spend the money on Photo shop. Too expensive for how much I would use it.
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

I don't understand a word you said but the sign looks great. :thumb: Could you do a step by step with pics including one of the building you are matching?
  6. Mellow-Mike

Mellow-Mike Member

You GO girl! Looks real-er than real.
  7. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Looks great Val. Simply perfect.

Robin, Corel can do the same thing.
    I am using Corel Photo Paint and Corel Draw and can do it.

I just never thought of it.
    Thanks so much Val.
  8. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Okay Tyson, will try to walk you through it. First I start off with this artwork, that I created in Adobe Illustrator.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
  9. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

This is a scan of the brick wall - well, part of it. The building is Baum St. from City Classics.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      9.1 KB
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Now I copy the artwork into a layer in the Photoshop file that has my brick texture and past it on top. I want the brick texture to show through, so I set the layer to "darken" and it will add to what's underneath.

Here's the layer palette, and what the image looks like at this point.

Attached Files:

• layer1.jpg
      File size:
      24.5 KB
    • 3.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

So you can see in the previous pic, there is no white. To get the white, I duplicate the artwork layer, and set it to lighten.

Attached Files:

• layer2.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
    • 4.jpg
      File size:
      11.3 KB
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Now for the texture. I downloaded this photo of a concrete wall which had the texture I was looking for. Then pasted it into another layer in my P'shop file and set it to "overlay".

Attached Files:

13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

As you can see, the concrete image goes from light to dark, so I copied that layer, flipped it 180 degrees and set that layer to overlay as well - giving a more uniform look. And the final result is the image at the beginning of this thread.

Fun, huh?

14. brakie

brakie Active Member

Val,I have no clue to want you did on the computer..However,I love the end results.. :thumb: Great job ! :thumb:
  15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

By the way, that sign is based on a real one. It's from the website of a Toronto photographer, so for copyright reasons I won't post it. But you can check out the original sign on his website here

There are lots of other painted signs on the site - it's great inspiration!

16. belg

belg Member

I second this request and sentiment. Pat
  17. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Pat, see the first page of this thread about halfway down. I have posted the step by step process that I used to create the sign. If you don't have Adobe Photoshop it may be a bit confusing, but basically I am using the Layers feature which allows one layer to affect those below it.
    Example: I have a brick texture on the bottom layer. If I simply paste the sign on top of this, the brick texture is covered by the artwork and you can't see it. By putting the sign art on a different layer, and telling that layer to "darken" the one below it, it combines with the brick texture in such a way that both are visible.
    Does that help?

18. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Val - When does "The Complete and Un-abridged Tutorial" come out?? :D :D :D
  19. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

O.K. Val I "kinda" get the idea. Thank you for the extra effort. I'm sorry, while it looks great it's way to much trouble for this dumb ol' redneck. It looks like a decal would be easier and faster (for me anyhoo :D) .
  20. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Looks good Val!
    Whens the "How To" DVD coming out.
    Or is it VHS only.