Signals and Rules

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Notes

Speeds:
Restricted speed: a speed that will permit stopping within one-half the range of vision. And in no case exceeding slow speed.
Slow speed: a speed not exceeding 15 miles per hour.
Medium speed: a speed not exceeding 30 miles per hour.
Limited speed: a speed not exceeding 45 miles per hour.

Some of these rules have been changed since then. I put the new rule numbers in pencil. The term "approach" now seems to be "Stop".

Notes:
unlit lamps are to be taken at the most restricting meaning, usually red.
The signals are speed signals only; they do not indicate routes. A lot of them limit speeds through switches or interlocking, then permit a higher speed to the next signal.
Signals with both heads on the same side of the pole are interlocking signals. Signals with heads on opposite sides of the pole are block signals (second pole in rule 281).

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
I would have to say they are somewhat similar to where I run, except for the station protection signal and the take or leave siding signal. One noticeable missing signal I see a lot of is the Advance Approach Signal. A flashing yellow aspect that basically means to pass the next signal (approach) not exceeding 30 mph and be prepared to stop at the second signal.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hoghead: I took these out of the 1962 revision. The Canadian Trackside Guide has the current Canadian rules -- All the numbers have been changed and the station protection signals and grade signals have been dropped. There are a lot of additions (I count 30 rules) including 409 Advance clear to stop which is flashing yellow, flashing yellow over red, or flashing yellow over red over red.
(If anyone wants the current version, the Trackside Guide 2005 is Cdn $29.95.)
I saw a comment that the most efficient railway would have every train coming on every signal just as it turned from red to yellow.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
60103 said:
Hoghead: I took these out of the 1962 revision. The Canadian Trackside Guide has the current Canadian rules -- All the numbers have been changed and the station protection signals and grade signals have been dropped. There are a lot of additions (I count 30 rules) including 409 Advance clear to stop which is flashing yellow, flashing yellow over red, or flashing yellow over red over red.
(If anyone wants the current version, the Trackside Guide 2005 is Cdn $29.95.)
I saw a comment that the most efficient railway would have every train coming on every signal just as it turned from red to yellow.
Advance Clear to Stop?

The aspect sounds like the same as an Advance Approach.

I take it means to stop at the second signal?

Traisessive

Oct 29, 2005
YEA there ar soo many now in Canada

CLEAR
CLEAR TO LIMITED
CLEAR TO MEDIUM
CLEAR TO SLOW
ADVANCE CLEAR TO STOP
CLEAR TO STOP

LIMITED TO CLEAR
LIMITED TO LIMITED
LIMITED TO MEDIUM