Siderod's goin to Boston!!

As the subject should explain in enough detail for even the slowest of people to catch onto...me, siderod, is going to boston!

My cousin (rich and buys me stuff...you know the one) who paied for Maple Leaf 2003 last year is paying for me to go to Boston for 5 days and do some railfanning and stuff.

In the list of things to do is Visit a few hobby shops near boston (names still unknown) and ride the Amtrak Acela from Boston to New York.

Basically, i wanna know stuff...anyone here live in or near Boston? Anyone know any good hobby shops in or around boston? Or within walking distance of the New York Station? Know any good railfanning spots or secrets? Anything i should avoid or see at all costs?

Any information any of you can provide it would be great. IF i can and if i get time, it would be kick-ass to see any one of you that i can. Be nice to put a face to the name.

Thanks guys.
Andrew

PS: If u post here that yur in or around boston or new york, you should expect an e-mail from me.

Hi Andrew,
Things not to miss in Boston:
1. U.S.S.Constitution
2. Museum of Science
3. Museum of Fine Arts
4. The Old North Church (one if by land, two if by sea)
5. Ride the subway from Gov't Center to Newton and back
just for grins.
Other folks, please add to the list, these are just my
personal favorites.
Hobby shops, I don't know but you can bet on it!!
Boston is a lot like San Fransisco, being a very old city
(for the U.S.), a central point in historical events, a
cultural Mecca, and a place of amazing diversity and interest
in its population and attractions.
Have a ball, wish I were going, too!!! :) :)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
99.9% certain the Acela brings you into Penn Station, NYC. If you have the time, take the subway to Grand Central, the New York Centrals old terminal. It's been restored and is beautiful, not to be missed! And if you have more time and aren't tired of riding trains yet (!) grab a Metro North train from GCT up the Hudson for a stretch. Great scenery, and it gets better the further you go. Go to Tarrytown and back if you can. When are you going?

F

Fred_M

Don't forget Cheers. Say hi to Sam and Woodie for me. Just don't make eye contact with the mail man Cliff. And to the people of Boston and New York, you have been warnned. :D Siderods a coming to town. Fred

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andrew:
I haven't been there for 30 years, and they seem to have torn down my favourite bits of the transit system.
If you like transit, try the Riverside line (street cars on private ROW) and the south Boston line (is it still the blue line?) out to the airport. Blue line had a couple of interesting points -- thrid rail under the river, then overhead the rest of the way out; a really tight loop in the city center so that they had to use the shortest cars on the system. I was sitting at the front reading Trains and the driver said "areyou a railfan?" and invited me into the cab for a trip around the loop.
Boston had to maintain 3 separate sets of rapid transit cars -- 2 different widths and the short ones, plus the street cars.
Just keep the extra nickel in your pocket so that you can get off of that train!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It has been many years since I was there, the most memorable place was a restaurant on pier 4. What a place for fresh saltwater fish. Then there was the song about being lost on th MTA because of a fare increase.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
:wave: I lived and worked in Boston back in the 80's. Wonderful place for history, eating and riding the MTA. It is kind of like the Metro here in DC - you can get almost anywhere on it.

Eating - Durgin Park, Pier 4 (mentioned above), Jimmy's, Board Room (for lunch)

Trains - Both South Station and North Station for the commuter rail servers for the morning and afternoon rush hours. Watch the Bridges over the rivers for freight and AMTRAK traffic during the day.

Get out west along Massachusetts Avenue to watch and photo the light rail service out that way. I believe it is the Red Line that heads out that way. You can spend a day just riding the rails from the 2 hub stations (South and North).

For History - do the walking tour in downtown Boston and out to the "Old North Church". Go south a little ways to Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Plantation and the "Edaville Railroad".

Enjoy your trip and bring back some pictures. :wave: :wave: :) :)