Shuttle Tydirium by Konradus

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by OylPslyk, Sep 21, 2006.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I was wondering if anyone has built this Lamda class shuttle model and has any tips or advice on construction.

I keep running into trouble and screwing up....
    this model has been my "white whale" for a loooong time. I either give up, get frustraded and ruin the build progress and start over...etc.

any tips would be nice

lol, here are the first seven words of the instructions: This model is not simple to
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I have that puppy on my "to build" list and yeah, it looks daunting.
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I thought the photos were good enough.
    I'll leave it in my "later" list then.
  4. cygielski

cygielski Member

After having tried it, do you feel the model is difficult to build, or simply poorly designed? The pictures on the site would indicate that it is possible to fit everything together. I was thinking of building it, but if it's going to give me that much trouble, I think I will reconsider this plan.

BTW, the files are being hosted on the Konradus site, but the author is Artur "Raziel" Rozek.
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I got that one printed out but haven't attempted it yet.I might tackle it after I finish my 3 WW1 projects.

Getter 1
  6. OylPslyk

its not that things dont fit or arent right, i keep having trouble with EXCESSIVE warping, or trouble with the build order, just this and that stuff!

my main wonder is if anyone had already built it and had advice on order of construction i guess...

ive really just been extra anal about this one I guess and want it perfect-especially with all the detail involved with this one!
  7. dardard

dardard Member

I have already built it. It is quite a long building process but at the end you will have an interesting piece on your desk.
    Check the pictures on the Konradus web site for hints on the building process.

About warping problems use 1mm and 2mm card for the mainframe.
    I started with 80gr paper for covering the model, but it is too fragile.
    I better use 160gr for the wings.
    During the building, do not forgot to put a metal wire in the frame before covering the neck between cargo bay and cockpit if you want the access ramp to be moveable.

Otherwise, take your time it is a nice model
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

OylPslyk, this looks like a wonderful opportunity for you to start the build thread (people around here LOVE that) and show us how it is done...c'mon can do it!!!
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes I think that use of solid framing within the skin of the ship. Not just the type provided but addition reinforcing.

When I built the Aliens M41 pulse rifle I had to fill it with corrigated cardboard because the size of the model and it's nature created serious warping issues. I had to carefully pry apart several sections and fill them with cross bracing and layered lengths of corrigated cardboard.

So to answer you problem. Scratch build and dry-fit internal bracing should headoff any forseeable warping.
  10. dardard

dardard Member

Here are a few pictures of the beast.
    Sorry for the quality, but I can only use this one due to the forum's limitation.

For strenghening the frame, you can use "L" shaped cardboard pieces at each crossing. This is what I have done and it stand still.
    The wings frame is good also, since they are quite long and also thin but remain strong (this time covered with 160gr paper).

I should agree that the instructions are not clear all the time, but with the drawings and by dry fitting a lot, everything goes the right way.

You should also make your own paper strips for many pieces, but all in all, for a free kit what could you honestly want more.
    The design of the kit is very good and you will have nothing to trim.
    But if you want to try it as your first paper model, it is not the best choice.

Attached Files:

11. hpept

hpept Member

Excellent build dardad. Lots of particulars and not visible flaws. You just showed it's possible to obtain a clean build of this gorgeous model. Thanks for sharing.
  12. OylPslyk

thanks guys, I only hope mine turns out as well as those pics!
  13. OylPslyk

Just a quick note, I did start working out more stiffeners and and stuff; and after about a day of numb fingers from trying to clean-cut cardboard I found something just wonderfull for cutting cardboard! when my camera gets home ill post a pic.

i found some powered scissors a while back but forgot about them till now, it cuts the stuff like butter, only drawback is wont cut out tiny parts:cry:

anyway thanks for the tips so far!
  14. dirthmunkey

dirthmunkey New Member

Shuttle TYDIRIUM dl file

Does anybody have this to send? I can not find it anywhere. Thanks
  15. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

Read Your PM.....

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  16. Pattyw286

Pattyw286 New Member

I was wondering if there was any place on the net I could go to get printable instructions
  17. OylPslyk

i just checked the link and its now broken :( i have it though - so just email me at and Ill email it to you
  18. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hello...can anyone please send me this build? i've been searching for it but the link i found was broken. thanks in advanced