Shuttle Piggyback

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by the mole, Dec 12, 2008.

1. the mole

the mole Member

Does anyone know of a paper model of the Shuttle flying piggyback on the 747? This seems to have been an aera miss in the real space models.
  2. dhanners

dhanners Member

I've never seen one. I suppose there are some 747 models out there that someone could repaint and/or resize....
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Alfonso has a mention of the SCA on his web site, but its not available yet. With all the things he's working on it will be a while before he starts on this. Check out the site
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Piggyback on A Boing 747

Hi mole,

I remember that Roberto Falorni, the talented guy who for example designed the fine 1:200 scale ET & SRB stack for the Delta 7 Studios free memorial Columbia orbiter model, did some kind of kit-bash or scratch build of this a couple of years back . . .

Yup, I made a search in the real space section for "747 shuttle transporter" in this forum and this is what I came up with: transporter
    It seems it was at least a project that was started. I hope it helps in some way.

PS: Roberto´s shuttle stack for the Columbia model is available here:

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :thumb:
  5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I remembered that one sir Bengt! That was a great model!!! :thumb:
  6. the mole

the mole Member

I had forgot about that thread. Good looking model. I like the first paint job on the 747 better than the new one it has now. The red, white and blue, that was the best. I guess I'll just wait for Alfonso to do them. Thanks for finding that thread Bengt.
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Shuttle Piggyback on A Boing 747

Hi mole,

Glad you liked it - I remember I did, too, at the time of the thread. Rolando Falorni is a sharp model designer and builder.

Here´s a nice shot of the whole apparatus:

Bengt :thumb:
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

This would make a great model! The repaint of the NASA 747 would be fairly easy for someone to do. The graphics are fairly simple.

9. the mole

the mole Member

Kenlwest after what I have seen you do with the X-15 I can't imagine what you would do to NASA 747 and Shuttle. If anyone could do it you would be the guy I would pick.:thumb:
  10. the mole

the mole Member

If someone wanted to recolor a 747 hint, hint: Canon British Airway Boeing 747-400 would be a nice model to use. Hint, hint: It's 1/144 scale and one could use the 1/144 scale Shuttle from Alfonso site.

Kenlweat I guess you would reather have a 1/72 scale 747 wouldn't you?:rofl:
  11. jaeike

jaeike Member

Isn't the shuttle transporter a 747-100? I haven't seen a side by side comparison, but looking at the Cannon one, it looks like you'd also have to modify the top deck area to shorten the 'hump'. Can't imagine that it would be too difficult to do.
  12. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

Both the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft are early model 747's. Model 100 for Nasa 905 and I think a 200 for NASA 911. The 747-400 has the extended upper deck hump, which is wrong for the SCA's. Also the model 400's generally had the wrong engine for an SCA, should be Pratt & Whitneys. There is a Lufthansa 747 100 or 200, 1:100, which would make a great SCA. It is still in print as far as I know. It would need to be recolored and have the horizontal stab tip fins added and a few other small details. I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but alas have not found time yet. Perhaps it is time to get started. I have a plastic 747 in 1:100 scale, but I want it in paper to go with my shuttle models. The SCA pic above from Bengt is NASA 905. You can tell this by the two windows on the upper deck hump. Originally there were three, but one was covered as part of the structural reinforcement for the bipod mount under the nose of the shuttle. A Braniff Airlines pilot who was patiently trying to teach me to fly light aircraft told me that the 747 had the hump on top so the pilots could sit on their overstuffed wallets. I think he was joking.