Shrimp boat

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by 762mm, Nov 5, 2005.

1. 762mm

762mm New Member

Hello again,

I'm looking 4 a paper model shrimp boat.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Huey Cobra..........shrimp I smell diorama? From the 1960s -1970ishs period?

Could be wrong.

check here I seem to remember something alone the line of a shrimp boat

3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Oh goody. You are doing a subject mater that I'm interested in. I'd like to do a crabber sometime. I do my own so I can't direct you to a model.

I use Pedro Denton's 'Boats of Alaska' and Terry Johnson's 'Ocean Treasures:Commercial Fishing in Alaska' as source material.

I assume you are doing a pot boat rather than a beam trawler.

According to Terry Johnson seiners, gillnetters, and trollers are all frequently rigged for pot fishing. I've made a seiner and have posted photos of it several times.

Are you narrowed down to a time-period and place. A Lousiana or Texas shrimp boat can be rather different from an Alaskan seiner rigged for pot fishing or a Japanese trawler.
  4. 762mm

762mm New Member

Thanks Lizzie,

1979, Key West,Fla.,and I believe it's a beam trawler that my Wife worked on,('s a surprise).

I have scoured that site and the entire internet for that matter, I recall no (free) shrimp boat, I don't mind buying, but I have to find it first.
    You got a good nose sir, you smell diorama, but not necessarily on this subject,I am planning a diorama of a stage filled with musical instruments for my musician Sister,
    guitars,drums,keyboards,and a sax. and if I feel like it, a little tiny Harmonica!

My favorite periods to model are WW1, WW twice, Korea and Vietnam. I haven't had time to update or I would be building Desert Storm as a tribute as well.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Geez guys, I thought it was going to be a Forrest Gump dio or something
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

On a more serious note, try Paper models international, Lou has a few civilian fishing boats that might fill the bill, T
  7. 762mm

762mm New Member

This is a reasonable representation of what I'm looking for.

Attached Files:

8. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Design your own model from your picture should be fun and fairly straight forward. Looks similar to the seiner that I did.

I use Coreldraw and start with the hull and doing a waterline model so that I start with a flat bottom piece. I found that the hull works best if it wraps around the bow without a seam.
    I initially glue the waterline piece to an inner hull strip and then glue the hull to that. The inner-hull strip goes at right angle--the outer hull flares out.
    The transom will need to be a separate piece on your boat.

The tricky part is getting the shape of the hull right. I started with the shape of the flat waterline piece roughly cut the hull with scissors and taped it to the waterline piece. Once it was close to the right shape, I untapped it and drew the shape on the computer. It took several printouts and adjustments to get it right.

I do the deck as two plies. The bottom layer gives the hull shape and then the cabin, hold-cover, and goodies get built into the upper ply. The rigging and superstructure get rolled. I stepped my mast against the cabin. You will need to build a mast step under the deck. Maybe put some crosspieces under the deck there that you can attach the mast to. Your cabin is simpler than mine. Mine has two levels and curves. Yours is a basic box. The transom part of your hull will be harder since it has curves and mine is just a rectangle.

If you start with a small version so that you won’t have to put in crosspieces or do much laminating to keep the paper from buckling. Once you have the basic shapes figured out then increase the size so that you can do more detail. On the first few prototypes when you are figuring out hull shape you might want to leave out details such as vents, bumpers, and rescue equipment.

I think you can probably get the basic shapes (waterline piece, inner hull, outer hull, transom, deck, deck top, cabin, cabin roof, mast, booms) on one page. It will take some experimenting to get the thickness of the mast right but on the first few tries I won't worry about them being a bit thick.