Show and tell Customs.

I would like to see everyones Custom painted/Deteiled engines and the story behind what points makes it great. I.E. What close attention to detail/alignment most stuck out to you.

I'll post some later ( well actually I'm estatic about my BN Desert Storm SD60M but I don't have a good camera to do it justice).

Shooter

Here is one of my custom engines, a Southern GP38.

final8.jpg

Some of the more unique items about this prototype (which is what I assume you're talking about) that I wanted to replicate are the small fuel tank, the high-hood, the air filter box, the hood vents, and the arrangement of the horns and bell.

---jps

This is my latest work. 5 Kato SD70M, what I call the heritage series.
I added more detail parts than ever before, starting with fan grills, over twenty liftrings (3 different shapes) even on the fan housing, MU hoses, cables, multiple grab irons, and windshield wipers overlaying the molded on ones. Custom made decals round up this project.

sd70mheritageall.gif

Herc Driver

Wow those all look great!!! That Southern GP38 is good looking...I can't wait till Atlas or LifeLike makes a Southern GP30 High Hood in Nscale.

Those SP units look awesome!

Please guys, show some close-ups of your work!

jbaakko

BNSF #6460 is the only H1 SD45-2, built from a RPP SD45-2 shell various details, and an Athearn SD40-2 chassis, cut to fit.
bnsf6460_08.jpg

Early pics of BNSF #801, a former Santa Fe Dash 8-40CW, built with a RPP shell on an Overland Chassis, the chassis has since been painted:
bnsf801_20.jpg

BNSF #2460, a P2K GP30 painted in H1:
bnsf2460_31.jpg

BNSF #1360, a GP7u built from a P2K GP7 and an Athearn Cab (bought it on eBay with the cab & nose modification, and finished from there).
bnsf1360_25.jpg

BNSF #9277, the only H1 SD60M, built from a RPP Shell, which I had to move the head light from the nose to the cab, on a RPP chassis:
bnsf9277_17.jpg

SCAX (Metrolink) F59PHI #884, built from an Athearn F59PHI, custom paint:
scax884_06.jpg

Last for now, CN #5414, an SD50F built from a Kaslo shell, on a RPP SD60M chassis with Athearn trucks & an Athearn motor.
cn5415_17.jpg

Shooter

Hey now... Why are these HO engines popping up on this N-scale thread? No fair! ;)

Herc Driver said:
...Please guys, show some close-ups of your work!...

Here is the modified tank with the scratchbuilt parts before painting:
fuel3.jpg

I started with a factory painted Atlas unit, and i used a DB blister from an "early GP38" to get the right blister:
dbfilter4.jpg

The short hood before painting, please excuse the blurry edges, as I used an inexpensive wide-angle lens to get the macro shot:
shorthood1.jpg

On this engine, I took BLMA underframe walkway lights, added some styrene to get the right thickness, and modified them so that they stood free from the body like the prototype walkway lights. After everything is painted up black and weathered, I can only see the free-standing effect with a very closeup shot like the one above or in the magnifying glass. I cannot see the difference with the naked eye no matter how close I look at it. So next time, I will probably only cut some styrene to the approximate shape, and glue it directly onto the body.

---jps

Torpedo

Shooter said:
Hey now... Why are these HO engines popping up on this N-scale thread? No fair! ;)
jawdrop
You mean that gorgeous GP-38 is actually tiNy scale???? :D:):D
That is really nice work. :thumb:

train1

It's really hard for me to decide which are my favourites in my collection but here are a couple from my stable in N Scale
SD60F.JPG

CN SD60F Kaslo - custom paint - My second fav type of CN locomotive because of the 'Draper Taper'.
DSCN1070.JPG

CN (in Heritage Paint Scheme) AC4400 - a real fantasy locomotive because CN doesn't run this type of loco - but CP Rail (our other Canadian Railway) does. Custom Paint by Jon @ Central Vermont - this is not a good photo of it though - 63 individual decals alone.
DSCN1068.JPG

CP RAIL C44-9 in heritage paint scheme. My favourite type of locomotive (N model and prototype) because of the 'tail fin'.
C44's look much better in modern Canadian National colours though and since Kato only produced 2 numbered and 1 unnumbered - I had a few more commisioned by a member(s) of another train board - and they are sweet looking also but alas I only have this unflattering group photo.
C44-9-011.jpg

Herc Driver

Amazing...simply amazing work. I really admire all you guys that have the guts to cut and hack into a shell, modify it, then put it all back together and making it look so great. Really great work. I applaud you all for your efforts!

diesel

Bnsf -9

hey nice work all.

anyone have any ideas to add to the below

I am adding details west and some scratch built parts to an Athearn -9 (BNSF). The aspect that will make this special is the amount of detail I am attempting to add to the underframe.

Working from photos (thanks charles biels and details west) I am going to add as much of the piping as I can.

I used my dremel to cut away obstuctions on the frame and will be installing an I beam representation made from strip styrene.

The motor and gearing have been removed making this a dummy and should make a great pusher.

thanks

70Runner

Here's a N-scale BNSF Remote control equipped unit I did awhile back with scratch built antenna stands andwire grabs and such. Now in service in the UK somewhere.
BNSF_7057_RCL_SD40-2_2-18-07_006eb.jpg

And one of my older projects SP SD40R with cut levers and weathered to match the prototype
acp.jpg

train1

These N scale Canadian National lease units just arrived at the Paris Junction from the paint shop, and will be ready to be put into service once the 'new car smell' disappears.
They are still awaiting clearance by the Health and Safety Committee and yardmaster.
DSCN2040.JPG

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Shooter said:
Here is one of my custom engines, a Southern GP38.

final8.jpg

Some of the more unique items about this prototype (which is what I assume you're talking about) that I wanted to replicate are the small fuel tank, the high-hood, the air filter box, the hood vents, and the arrangement of the horns and bell.

---jps
What decals and paint are you using?

-Smoke