Should my Porter be free?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by thewoodengraver, Mar 13, 2007.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I have already made my decision.
    You may be able to change it, though you don't know what that decision is.
    I know you have not seen it yet, so this may be unfair.
    You could wait until I finish and view the pic before you vote.
    But, thay may sway the vote.
    I value my work and I know how to set a price.
    You better not try to schmooze me, I will raise that price, if I indeed set one.
    How important is this model to you?
    Would a picture make you happy enough?
    Would a picture and no offering at all offend you?
    Would it have more value because I set a price?
    Would you value me more if I offered it for free?
    Or would you value me less?
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I would value you more if you offered it for free!
    But then again, if it was reasonably priced....
    Nope, back to plan A...
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

One cannot place a value on friendship, nor can you place a more/less value on a person because of a decision, unless it is a moral decision, which this is not. This is your choice to place a value on something you created. Therefore, whatever you decide, is up to you. We will still value you!

4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Going for pun of the year award

Oh, that's a tough question. Depends on what fires your boiler. Will get more gratification from earning a bit of beer money, or does the thought of lots of people building your model get raise your steam. Obviously more models will be built if it's a free download, but you'll get dosh if you sell it.

If you decide to sell it, could you get coupled up to a manufacturer ?

I'll think no more or less of you, whichever track you take. I'll simply respect your decision, as I'm sure most people will. Can you follow my train of thought.

I'm just looking forward to seeing the finished product, so get shunting ;)
  5. angevine

angevine Member

My vote is in, only because i'm not as rich as I would like to be. :|

How about you show a picture, offer a free download but ask for a donation of $20 if you like the model... Shareware Card Models :grin:

6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I have not voted, because there is no way to vote for 'it's up to you'.. I'm easy with what ever you do. I don't normally build trains, I would have a go at this though. But I've been watching your builds and they are worth the money. If you do charge will you do paypal.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

<puts on business hat>
    Here is my train of thought: (heh heh)

I am not voting either. Its your choice phil, not ours. If you can use a bit of extra cash then go for it. I wouldnt try to do it myself though. Maybe you can contract out with someonelike Nobi to sell it for you? Gremir models? Micromodels? I know what you have designed so far and its all great! Contact homespunmagixx and see how their build it and pay if you liked it idea works for them... if they are still around anyway, havent been there in a while.

People build cardmodels because they are cheap/free. Bear in mind even if your model is awesome it may not sell much because there is so many models in circulation already.

Ah well I ramble enough.
    </takes off business hat>
  8. thewoodengraver

I was not expecting any of that. You have all made me feel very good. Texman floored me (in a very nice way)... Mark is thinking...and he made me happy... Angevine, If I do sell it, I will send you a copy free... Paul made me smile... Chris is thinking $$$$$... AND the HACKERS are trying to steal it! I really love what I have read so far. BUT, my decision has NOT been swayed...keep
  9. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

If you can make a couple bucks to help support your hobby, more power to you. You have more than contributed to the hobby through your free models, encouragement of newbies, sage advice and freely given fellowship.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. I just hope you continue the design thread.
  10. TWE:

I rarely respond to forum posts, mostly because I find that others have said it better than I could. However, so far I haven't seen anyone address these considerations yet.

If you sell it, customers will contact you desiring, and expecting, help on how to make it, along with other problems. If this is a business, you need to respond even if you don't want to. If this is a "free" model, you can always post a 'you're on your own' message on the model.

If you give it away, you will find (if you don't already know it) that few will ever communicate with you other than those who want something else for free.

I won't vote on this because I think that whatever you choose, you will have made the best choice for yourself. I have been enjoying your posts, and commisserating on the problems you have to overcome, since you joined. The only thing I ask is that you never cease to enjoy your hobbies, and that, even if you have to get away from here sometimes, you will always return. You have a great sense of humor, and a real talent for designing.

Tom Williams, Jr.
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'll definitely vote "Free":D! Besides, I haven't seen much free downloads on good train models. Yours would definitely be a first. While if it's worth 20 bucks then it'll just become "another" train model... But, don't worry too much, its your choice at the end of the day.
  12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I say charge for it if you want to. Just don't expect sales out the wazoo...
    Maybe try a free download of a part of it, so people can try a sample and you can show the quality of the kit.

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member's my pennies. I also will not vote........ because

The Artist Phil derives pleasure from making art.

The Business Man Phil is a realist and understands money is a necessity and therefor this is the means to an end.

The Modeler Phil enjoys and admires the work involved to make a flat sheet of paper (in this case) into a recognizable 3D object. A thing of beauty.

The Designer Phil looks for the inner glow from pride in making something that others enjoy building. And smiles a little each day knowing that his hard work is something that others use to create something that they themselves did not have to design.

The bottom line Phil is................ it is your work, you have to choose which one of the above gives you the most pleasure. I know....... it might seem to be only one, but pleasure for an individual changes and it can be any of the above........and will be most obvious at that time.

Whatever you decide, will at this moment in time, be correct.................and who knows........... you always have the option of changing thet decision at a future time, and it will be correct for that time.

We will always respect you for YOU.

Because we have come to know you and one decision about something that is yours to decide about will not change that fact.

14. thewoodengraver

I cannot in good conscience let this go any further.
    This was intended as a " gag" and if you have been paying attention, you would know that.

I was going to PAY YOU ALL one dollar to download and build my Model.
    BUT, since you ALL schmoozed me, I am raising my price

I really, really, really DO, LOVE you all!:roll:

Have a great day!!!!!:grin::):wink:8):-D:roll::twisted:
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang............... it never occurred to me to get someone to PAY me to build.............ummmmmmmmmm just forget all of that first post and go with your original idea Phil.........matter of fact I want to build........ lets say a 1000 of em:grin: Shoot I can always build more:grin:

Good one Phil.................... good one!

Dang it......... it hard walking the hall now with one leg longer then the other:oops:

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

DANGIT!!! I missed out... I personally don't have much interest in trains, but hey.. A buck's a buck, right?? :wink:
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member usual a day late, and a dollar short...
  18. angevine

angevine Member

Could have done with the Buck as well, my car's starting to play me up... just know it's going to be expensive.

Anyway.. As I have never built a train model, I would not have minded either way that you released it. I'm always up for a challenge! And thanks for the cool idea anyway.

Still liked the idea of a Shareware Card Model..... 8)

19. Clashster

Clashster Member

Phil - this was one of those stories where you kept reading and saying to yourself "where is this going?" And whammo! a good laugh and a great story told by many.... Very clever....

20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I can only offer my seniments from personal experience:

When I designed my Saturn SA-5, I seriously considered selling it, even at a low price. I was unemployed at the time, and every dollar counted. I put alot of work into designing that rocket, making it as accurate and detailed as possible. It was a labor of love, and kept me sane during a very difficult period.

But I decided to release it for free, open source. I had begun this hobby by building the work of others, guided by the posts of the people here who devote their time and energy to helping anyone who asks. So I made the decision to give something back into that community that had helped me.

I know many have built the rocket I designed and enjoyed it as much as I have. I have watched the open source material from my designs help Carl (surfduke) design and grow the wonderful collection of Apollo era spacecraft that he has produced.

My work served as a stepping stone for others, just as their has done for me.

And perhaps that is the reason I love this hobby so much- the knowledge that so many disparate people and cultures can join together in common fellowship.

No amount of money in the world could garner me that feeling of goodwill and satisfaction. :)