Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Gang,

A funny thing happened yesterday. I went out to my shop
to sharpen my lawn mower blade. While doing that I heard
something like someone hammering. I looked around but saw
nothing and of course it had stopped. I went out and put the blade back on then returned to the shop to put tools way. By
golly I hear that hammering again. I looked around but the little
people were not building anything or cutting trees down. I went back outside and walked around the back to look around. Would
you believe three quarters up the back of my shop theres a
three inch hole bored thru the wall? Needless to say a miss
woodpecker moved in and is building a nest inside the wall. Now I got to find a way to get her out of there

Ron :mad: :mad: :wave:

F

Fred_M

Be careful, some woodpeckers are endandered and doing the wrong thing could get you in a heap of trouble. FRED

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Not much...

...meat on a woodpecker (well- not after a tangle with a 12 Ga.). I don't check with the PC Police as far as endangered species. dash10 makes a good point though- just make sure there aren't any witnesses.:eek:

Good luck,

Mark :rolleyes:

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Is she in a dangerous location? Is there any reason that she can't just stay where she is? If her life is in danger, it might be a good idea to call in animal control or someone who can remove her "legally" and safely.

I think it'd be cool to have a woodpecker nesting in my house! They're getting pretty rare these days, but I've seen both pileated and red cockaded (endangered) woodpeckers here around Huntsville, TX. There is at least one pileated woodpecker that lives somewhere near our house.

At a previous house, we had a woodpecker that would come and hammer at the house. The funny thing was that it would peck at the metal air vents on the roof! CLANG CLANG CLANG CLANG!!!! It usually dropped by early in the morning. Sort of an organic alarm clock.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Woodpeckers can cause a lot of damage to your home. They aren't happy with just one hole, but make them just for "the hole of it". Get rid of it one way or another.

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi again,

I would have no problem with her nesting and having her young and then leaving. My concern is she is nesting between the outside wall and the insulation board covering the inside wall.

For some reason she is still pecking away while inside and I don'nt know whats she is up to as I can't see her. I looked in the phone book and there is no pest control listed. We do have animal control for cats and dogs but I don't know if that covers woodpeckers and such.

Please don't get the idea I don't love the birds as I have fourteen bird houses and right now there all plum full. They do become a problem when they nest where they don't belong as when I added a carport they nested under that until I go it all nest free. That spring under the carport and on the car and truck it looked like a barnyard. I'm going to give animal control a call and see what they say. She drilled that hole on the west side and theres where we get all the storms from so it could cause serious damage to that wall. Let you know what happens.

Ron :mad: :wave: