Should I cut out before laminating?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by tf34mech, Feb 1, 2007.

1. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

Does anyone cut out there pieces first before laminating onto
    thick paper? Or would it be easier to laminate first then cut.
    Thanks
    MDS
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

I always laminate first, cut later. This way, the thick piece is exactly like the outlined piece (not sure if you could be that accurate by laminating after).
  3. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

i've done both, and it does make it harder to match the part layers when one part is cut first. Sometimes when you need to test fit certin parts though, it can make it easyer.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I typically laminate then cut. There are some exceptions but they are rare.
    Chris
  5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Oh yeah, laminate then cut. For sure!
  6. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

Thanks for the reply's I think I will try laminating first.
    Thanks
    MDS
  7. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

What I usualy do is cut out the individual part but keep extra material outside of the cut area. This makes it easyer to laminat cause only the part is what your working on and not a whole sheet. then after it's dry just finish triming to the cut lines.
  8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I generally laminate first, then cut. I have a ready supply of 1mm stock at hand though, which means that I don't have to be economical with it.
  9. Jim Lionmane

Jim Lionmane Member

I recently had to make some pieces that were 1 mm thick, but i only had paper that were 0,2 mm thick, so I had to laminate to get the right thickness.

At my first try, I cut out all the pieces first and then glued them together. The result were OK, but you could see tha the pieces were cut individually.

Then i laminated all the pieces, and cut the whole thing.
    The result were that the pieces were the same size, but were very fuzzy at the cut edge, because I were not able to cut through the first time, I had to cut several times at the same spot.

At my third try, i cut out the first piece, then glued that on top of the next piece, and used the edge from the first piece as a guide, where to cut.
    This gave the best result, as all the pieces became the same size, and the cut edges were nice and clean as I could cut through the paper at first cut.

It goes to the story, that the pieces were small circles 2-5 mm in diameter, so it probably would have been easier to laminate all pieces, and then use a holepunch, but I couldn't find mine.

Kind regards

Jim Lionmane