Shotgun shell wheels

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Ray Marinaccio, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

While out stomping about the old Bradshaw Mountain right of way I found a pile of used Shotgun shells, picked one up and thought they would make nice O scale wheels.
    This is one I made from a 20 Ga. shell. It measures out to just a hair over 33 scale inches.
    A 16 Ga. shell is just under 36" and a 12 Ga about 39" (close enough to 40")

Attached Files:

2. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

Ray, did you just ream out the primer pocket or do you have a lathe and turned the edge to make the flange?
  3. Ray Marinaccio

I punched out the primer and turned the face on the lathe. The flange was not modified.
  4. csxt30

csxt30 Member

Those look really great, what a great idea, too ! For most all rolling stock today, most wheels today are 36 inch, at least that's what we change the most of everyday. 38inch wheels are most common on the articulated container cars. A lot of the normal size boxcars use 33inch. 28inch wheels are on the auto carrier cars. Thanks, John
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Gee - Do you think we should note not to use live ammo for this.
  6. Ray Marinaccio

I'll be sure to add a warning if I write a how to article.
    At the price of live ammo, you could buy a set of wheels.
  7. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Ray, better add that wrning as Yankees will not know any better. :D Great job.