Shotgun House

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by 46rob, Jan 23, 2006.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

Getting a bit tired of curvy, sleek jets, I decided to try a different direction. here's an ubiquitous shotgun house, as can be seen any where in the south, in the less fancy parts of town. Here's the result of my effort. I plan to do a few variations on the basic structure and add them to my N scale layout. currently it's at 1/48 scale.

Attached Files:

2. Drakeo1

Drakeo1 New Member

Looks nice

think you could scale it to 1/87 while your at it
  3. hpept

hpept Member

like this construction, my son would love it too to play hide and shoot with his toy soldiers :grin:
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Rob looks good. But to make them match round here you have to paint em bright blue, yellow or pink!

Sometimes I think they go to the Home Depot and buy the wrong mixed paint to paint their houses with! Guess it's cheaper, but boy sometimes they get some LOUD colors!:grin:

Oh and stick a dish on the side:grin:

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Just out of idle curiosity, why are they called "shotgun houses"?
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Because you could shoot a shotgun in the front door and wouldn't hit anything as the shot passed on through the back door. At least that's one explanation I've heard. This type of house is usually situated so that the prevailing breeze will pass easily from front to back to cool the house during the oppressive heat months in the deep South.

7. 46rob

46rob Member

That pretty well sums up the name. the originals were usually about twelve feet wide, three or four rooms--a parlor in the front, one or two bedrooms in the center, and a kitchen at the back.--No hallways, just doorways between the rooms, all aligned with the front and back doors. The privy was originally an outhouse, but later they were added on to the back of the house, usually adjacent to the kitchen, In the one I lived in, in S Texas, you had to walk across the back porch to get to the bathroom. many of the houses on the gulf coast are "double-wides", like my model, with an extra bedroom and the bath built in.
  8. 46rob

46rob Member

I've done it in 1/48, 1/87 and 1/160. If anyone wants a copy, contact me and let me know which scale you want.