Short S-23 Empire Flying Boat

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Hi Barry she really is looking great its about time a model Empire Boat saw the light of day. Now you have the Canopus how about a Maia and Mercury Short Mayo composite just to keep you from getting board!.
    I hope you will consider putting the model up for downloading, I live where they used to be built and have a rather large soft spot for the Shorts Boats. All the best Phil
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Unfortunately Phil there are still too many faults on Canopus which need ironing out at the moment.
  3. Gixergs

Ho Hum, I shall have to content myself with the pictures of your build, maybe one day?. I saw the Sir Arthur Gouge a Short Solent that used to be at Chatham Dockyard flying about a while back I decided then that the world could do with more Flying Boats. Many thanks for the great thread Phil
  4. barry

barry Active Member

3rd prototype

Before this hits the waste paper basket for want of yet another former to hold the shape of keel I decided to try cleaning up the keel mess. It seems to have worked up to a point this was supposed to be a quick build ho hum.

Attached Files:

5. Gixergs

Hi Barry, Please persevere with this wonderful and much neglected subject. I hope you can sort her out to the point that you will post her for download. As I said before the World needs more Flying Boats.
    Thank you for reminding people of them.
    Merry Christmas Phil
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Grumman Albatross

My computer is about to clap out so I can't design anything new just playing about with what I can until I sort it.

Anyway have an Albatross instead still a prototype as usual I just like the colours which at the moment do not line up

Attached Files:

7. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

i think you are creating some wonderful work i too wish i had your computer skills to create the masterpieces you are creating.
    i look forward to seeing both projects as downloads so i can add them to my catalina pby-2.
    flying boats are complicated and i can sympathise as i too have had problems with line ups on my build but got around them.
    keep up your great work:thumb:
  8. barry

barry Active Member

right wing and redesigned bits

Redesigned the engine nacelle added the panel lines to the right wing added thickness to the float support and modified the wing root join to the fuselage.

I think the engine should tilt slightly more upwards than it does maybe someone could comment on that.

I have hopefully designed the "roman nose" out of the nose section. In the next two or three days i should get my computer working and be able scan the necessary bits back in and sort out the texture.

It needs a black deicing strip down the front of the tail fin but that's good it's easier to hide the join line.

I am more less happy all the bits are now there to finish the job even if it does look a bit odd at the moment

Thank you col. kurtz

Attached Files:

9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Barry,

This is the first time I've seen your build thread of Canopus. I hope your computer problems clear up soon. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed model.

My father was the President of Shorts' North American operation from 1973 until 1987, marketing the 330 and 360 airliners. I have many fond memories of visiting Belfast and the Short Brothers facility when the 330 was still on the drawing board. They built so many great aircraft there and even as a boy, I could feel the history of the place.

Thank you for keeping the history of Shorts alive through your models. I plan to building one for my brother if you are able to make it available.

P.S. I feel your pain of designing and test building card models.
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Grumman Mk2

Yet another fuselage modified nose and glazing using selotape sticky side out nd a lot of work on the texture. At least you can read the coastguard badge in real life.

Hopefully I will get there in the end I've learned a lot from this one.

I used to fly to Frankfurt on one the Short boxes from Gatwick they were good and solid aircraft.

@col kutz

Thanks for the kind words

Attached Files:

11. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

:thumb:looks excellent barry!!!! barry i use the clear transparancy from envelopes(utility bilss eg b.t. sky) for the glass on a cockpit or gun emplacement it bonds well to paper with pva .have a look at my cat threadall the glass on her is that
    thought hat may help but yor builds looking excellent keep it up !!!!!!:thumb:
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Grumman more or less complete

It has most of the bits on bar the aerials dropped it on the wing tip though

Col transparent windows sound good

Attached Files:

13. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

WOW !!jawdrop looks excellent barry hope what i use helps you its easy to cut the transparancy i normally place it under the cutout frame work draw around it then cut out the transparant part
    iwould love to give this bird a go at building PLEEEEEESE put it in the downloads section....or send it to me :twisted::twisted::twisted:
  14. lriera

lriera Member

It looks fantastic!!!
  15. mchale

mchale beach boy

i like it to please put it in the download section
  16. yankeekilo

yankeekilo New Member

you are a real artist!
  17. yankeekilo

yankeekilo New Member

i´d like to see more