Shop flat conversion...

shaygetz

Since it will be a while before the HOn30 OC R.R. has trackage of it's own, I wanted a way to display some of its motive power. Since I'm long on ideas and short on green, my flat hadda come from whatever was in the scrap box...in this case, an old boom tender. After stripping off the cabin, sidewalls and boom rest, I was left with this...

Attachments

• flat1.jpg
    flat1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 261

shaygetz

Obviously, the holes had to go. Instead of covering them, I decided to remove the surrounding decking and replace it with scrap siding. First I scribed the floor, then nibbled it out with pliers and finally cleaned it up with a file...

Attachments

• flat2.jpg
    flat2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 256

shaygetz

I then fitted scrap siding into the openings and followed that up by distressing the floor with a razor saw to blend them together.

Attachments

• flat3.jpg
    flat3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 255

shaygetz

A bit of paint and weathering, some rail on the deck, a pair of good ole fashioned Varney trucks...too bad I just found out I'm out of Kadee draft gear boxes :eek:ops:

Attachments

• flat4.jpg
    flat4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 255

shaygetz

Why thank you, Catt. I thought you'd like to know that that is an N scale Alco RS15 wearing that HOn30 Climax as a disguise ;) There ARE some uses for N scale after all :p

Tyson Rayles

"yes, Tyson, you were right . My choice of drive train wasn't exactly the best choice. Hence the near permanent display on the flat 'til I can cough up the $40 for an NWSL micro can motor ."

Sorry SG I didn't mean to jinx you! :( :eek:ops: :eek: :cry: