shoki2000: GreMir Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki is complete!

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by shoki2000, Jul 2, 2006.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

2. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Outstanding!! A real pleasure to view such nice clean work.. Great photos showing it off.

3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Very nice namesake, Mike.

How long did the build take?

4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Everything depends on how you count it.
    I started the build over 1.5 year ago but most of this time model sat in the drawer. The real time spent on actually building the plane is somewhere around 2 months.
    That includes building the fuselage and wings twice because I messed it up rather badly :oops:
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I'm still experimenting with the diorama idea so comments are welcome...

6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

They look good! If you are using the dioramas for photo purposes, I would use a sepia filter to give it an aged look.
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Mike the plane looks excellant! My suggestion for the dio, the grass the plane sits on is to pool table topped looking. It needs tufts of grass like stuff. Another suggestion is most Pacific small airfieds were crushed stone and coral. Maybe get some Clean Kitty litter, place it on the ground, dry brush a little pink toned hues on it, and place a few straw lookinf fronds at the edges.
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Now we are talking higher art in the diorama department and I'm not sure I'm up to the task here....
    I will have to take a good look at the hobby store railroad department and maybe something will materialize :roll:
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

It's not that labor intensive. You can make a mix of thinned white glue, apply it to the base where you have the green currently and just take a few handfuls of gravel with alittle dirt and just shake it across. The coloring is actually optional. It would add so much to the already excellant dio.
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

White glue will actually hold it?
    if so, then it trully is much easier :grin:

Any ideas for the patches of grass you mentione?
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Yes there is stuff at model railroad shops, called lichen foam. This stuff comes in alot of differant shades, they also have other neat things that can be used.
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great looking, Mike! I especially like the B & W - everything looks more real (like the palm trees). Very cool idea! I've done some smaller grass plots with the stuff in a jar you get at the railroad hobby store. Attached like Ted said - still glued after many years. I also put the stray tuft of grass here and there to get that "weed" look. I wish I had the patience to make a diorama for my models... but that short attention span really kills me...