Shipyard Advice

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by David H, Jun 17, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

Dear All,

A quick request for advice, I am getting ready to start a new project and wondered if in the case of Shipyard's printed kits I should aim to leave no black outline on the edges of the formers at all?

Looking at a true artist Amazing Klebeinger!

I am inspired to try it but wondered how?

My preferred option is to sand down after cutting and gluing. What do you all think?

2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Don't know how to do it... But that man is definitely amazing..... Masterpiece...
  3. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I've always wondered why cut lines on more models aren't designed so that you cut on the inside of the line - as opposed to the middle or outside.
  4. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

He11, I've wondered why they even use cut lines! Why not shade the part, or shade the area you cut off? Then you get NO LINE! ... and no question. :)

I was amazed when I first came across paper modeling to discover many practices like these, some of them in common use. The most surprising is the practice of showing a score by ... printing dotted lines right across the graphics of the model! :-? To me that always seems like a perfect example of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

There is not a time that I haven't gone to and not been so impressed that the first words out of my mouth is........... well ........ darn.

But it really long and drawn out............. you know like D Aaaaa Mmmmm Nnnnn.

I MUST learn to read German..............
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Your damned if you do damn if you dont on cutlines.
  7. David H

David H Member

I have been getting on just fine running down the centre of the line; 1/10th of a mm here or there rarely worries me but when it comes to building those Polish kits I just don't know?

NULLMOON Member

the model im on currently has no outlines atall (gpm) just the color of the part to give an edge
  9. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Help on Shipyard detailing...

Hi guys :wave:

I was wondering if anybody here can help me regarding the deatailing of Shipyard models.

I recently bought from 3 Shipyard models namely La Belle Poulle, HMS Bellona and HMS Victory and Jerry really gave me some great service :thumb:

I was shocked though to find out that the cover picture of the Shipyard card models are now what's exactly you'll be building. I thought that Shipyard models pictured on the cover of each kit is What You See Is What You Get...the pictured model is actually a very modified and heavily detailed after model from the basic kit.

Take the HMS Bellona for example...I thought that the figurehead is included in paper and you'll just fold it but in reality...the Figurehead is just flat in the the Figurehead is really an add-on. Other add-ons are the Golden wood carving at the back of the ship decorating the Captain's cabin.

I just wondering now is anybody can help me locate some After market details for these ships or if there's a thread that shows how to make these details and figureheads.

10. David H

David H Member

Yeah Shipyard do use some very high quality examples to advertise their wares, can w blame them? We can all dream!

I wouldn't limit your efforts to paper only, clay, gap filler or paper moulding on a card frame might work? For somethings paper just wont do.

Look on it as n opportunity to learn a new technique... and be creative?

11. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Yeah :cry: It's really a shock for me to find out that the superb details are after market parts wall1 The rigging I understand that you'll have to make it yourself but I didn't really expect most if not all of the details to be after market parts :eek:

Anyway, thanks for the reply...I'm pondering on clay and other household items for the details.

12. Clashster

Clashster Member

You may want to try Model Expo - they have specialized in wooden ship models for many years. They have quite a few "after market" parts. It has been a while since I have shopped with them, but I do remember them being very helpful and friendly! Here is a link:

model expo

Good luck! I have several Shipyard books and thought "they want me to carve the cannon?".... sign1

13. philkon

philkon New Member

I have the Shipyard " HMS Victory". I have not started working on it yet. I am planning to order the Mast set for the ship. I might have to use the paper cannons. I have not found much on them yet. So, there are aftermarket parts out there. I am trying not to spend too much money on the aftermarket parts.
    I am in the process of building the Battleship, ROMA. I had to order the big guns made out of metal for the ship. I tried the paper ones and I said, forget it. You could also build up paper parts by adding glue in layers to make it three dimensional. I also made the life rafts out of electrical wire instead of the paper wrap arounds.

14. David H

David H Member

We all know pride comes just before a right royal fall and I may fail spectacularly but I am going for card and paper as much as is humanly possible.

That said I have built a hull using expanding and blue foams so I guess I have already entered the twilight land of hypocrisy! Or is that multi-media?

Cannon, well I am thinking of laminating up the rough shape and then turning up the finished barrel on my generic "Dremel tool". Need to find the correct card. That said I reckon I can just about roll tubes that small...

I will try and get a build thread up an running soon but the aged Ps are visiting which means no building time at all.

15. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have a comment concerning the mast set. I ordered the mast set for the HMS Bellona as soon as I saw the amount and types of masts and spars to be made. I admire those of you who can build everything from paper but there are sometimes some situations where paper will not work or is not the best material for a situation. I think that although the masts and rigging could conceiveably be built from paper, it would not have the strength necessary to support all the rigging and sails once you start trying to draw lines tight. Also on my current HMS Bellona build, I have decided to build the decks from a laminate of card and very thin (less than 1/16") plywood cut into individual planks. This makes a more authentic looking deck than the printed deck that comes with the model. My own humble opinion is that we should be trying to produce the best model possible and if that involves mediums other than paper then so be it. I can still say that my model is made from card and anyone seeing it is going to be amazed and will not care if it is not 100% paper. My experience has been that it is only us modelmakers that seem to obsess over these kinds of issues. The non-model making population will continue to be fascinated by the results regardless.
  16. David H

David H Member

I agree!

Use whatever you think is good for the job and achieves the result you desire (see my posts on Depron, Blue foam and foam filler!).

But just occasionally I come up with a wheeze in card that would not be possible in another material, that's why it is sooooooo great to model with.

I think I can do masts and spars from card / paper, it's the rigging that concerns me!

17. philkon

philkon New Member

When I start building my HMS Victory card model, I will be looking into all the different methods of making parts for it. The mast set is one to look into. I have not checked out all the cannons yet, but if need be, I will make some out of wood on my lathe, or even brass. The metal big guns on my ROMA battleship came out perfect. So, that makes me happy.

18. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have the Victory card model too; I still need to order the mast set. When I am done with my current model I might build that one if I am not sick of masted vessels by then... I have a lathe too, and I have contemplated making a pattern for each cannon and then casting them in acrylic. 74 cannons is too many to turn each one individually. If they are not too hard to make from paper then I might go that route but keeping them uniform might be an obstacle.
  19. gian7675

gian7675 Member

20. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Pretty sure he used wood strips for the deck. He is using wood strips for his current HMS Bellona build. I have no clue on the cannon but if they are paper, he did an incredible job on getting them all uniform!