Shipyard 1:96 Dutch Yacht

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
I didn't start taking pics until it was at this stage so the earlier construction is undocumented. The photos are pretty poor (hand-held camera) but are intended more as a trainig aid for me in uploading pics to the forum.

The only problems in construction have been self-inflicted. I got carried away in laminating up to 1mm - more like 1.75 or 2mm! That required enlarging slots and caused some minor relocation of hull formers. Then I missed the note to bring the decks up to 1mm and that is now going to cause some problems with the fit of the side planking since the decks are firmly (and thinly) glued in place. <heavy sigh>

This is one of two kits in Shipyard Nr.12 - the other being the HMS Chatham, another small ship. I have no complaints with the engineering of the kit since the diagrams are quite clear and construction is in numerical sequence. One disappointment in the booklet is the absence of photos of the completed models. The photos are all of wooden (museum style) models which are quite exquisite, but I would like to have seen the paper model in a completed state.

I'll post more comments and (better quality) photos as things progress. Has anyone seen English translations of the Polish instructions? I have figured out that "Uwaga!" is either "Attention!" or "Caution!" but have no idea what the rest of the warning says...

J

Jim Nunn

Welcome aboard Old salt. (Two sideboys and 2 gongs if I remember correctly)

You will find that when is says 1 mm it means 1 mm, personally I now make my backing card stock a little under 1 mm.

As for a Polish Translation try this web site
http://www.poltran.com/
it’s not perfect but you can usually figure out what the instructions require. Not too many of us have tackled a Shipyard model so I know that there several of us who will be looking over your shoulder watching you build the model.

Jim Nunn
IC2, BM2 –Tonkin Gulf Club, TF-116

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Ron

Very good start, can't wait to see how you go with these builds.

As Jim said when it says 1mm it means it.
I use the translator that Jim has given the link for and it will give you most of the info you need from text in the instructions

You read written instructions :shock: what the heck are they :lol:
That might explain why I have to do some bits time and time again until I get them right :lol: Try doing that in plastic :roll:

I have Shipyards Victory on the go and the problems it has makes it a chore not a pleasure to build :roll:

Show us more when you can (we always want more) and more is never enough

Rob

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
I have worked out a "formula" for laminating which is giving excellent results now. I arbitrarily defined 110 lb paper as .25mm and the backing boards for comic book archival storage (high density, smooth finish cardboard) as .75mm. So a 1MM lam is one sheet of each and it is easy to work out the necessary combinations for .5, 1.5, 2, etc. as called for on the various Shipyard kits.

The poltran site has helped some but the more technical terms defeat it. It is better than calling my second-generation Polish brother-in-law however!

I have the Victory also, Rob, but that one is way down on the list! There is a (German?) paper modelling site that has a "work in progress" series on the Victory here (part 1)

http://www.kartonbau.de/thread.php?threadid=1218&sid=b9b7100aa448db4a7af4bc500353eb4f

and here (part 2)

http://www.kartonbau.de/thread.php?threadid=1846&sid=

The threads have English translations and are very useful!

Welcome!
Thanks for beginning a post featuring this period ship. I tip my hat to you for undertaking a plank on frame model -with instructions in another language!. Keep the posts coming. I have an unfinished wooden model of the brig of war 'Irene' gathering dust in my shop and appreciate the hours required to build even smallest of ship details.

P.S. I just went to the site recommended above. What a great undertaking to build, photograph and reveiw is such detail. Collaborating on the build must have been very supportive and productive. I didn't realize you were so deep into ship modelling. I am in awe.
J.L.[/list]

J

Jim Nunn

Not to be overly anal but you should factor in the thickness of the glue layer which seems to be between 2 and 2.5 mils. Three layers of glue are almost equal to 1 layer of 67 lb paper. This has been enough of an increase to create fit problems in some of my builds.

As I look at this I thinking we are talking about measurements thinner then a human hair, and they say it’s only paper.

Jim Nunn

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
Gil - thanks for the tip - ordered!

Jim - in my experience, it is not possible to be overly anal - :lol: Good point on the stickums adding to the thickness of the lams, though - that is significant when working with some of the tight fits in these models.

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
To recap - (1) I made the hull former laminations too thick, (2) I didn't laminate decks to 1mm before glueing in place and now (3) I have discovered a slight twist in the hull as I started planking. I didn't pay attention when doing the initial framework glue up and let a twist creep in. This project is being moved to the "learning experience" category and will hopefully improve my performance on the other Shipyard models I have on the shelf.

The planking went pretty well but the hull will definitely need filling, sanding and repainting. Also need to fill the gap resulting from the too thin main deck. Numerous small gaps between hull planks, especially where a compound curve was involved. I think I could have done better with some of them but the hull would still need smoothing and refinishing.

The hawse holes were marked and drilled out on the core piece near the bow but not on the inner or outer "skins" so those will need to be drilled out. I feel like I have done this model a disservice with my early errors. Hopefully I can redeem myself a little from this point on.

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
No new photos but the hull has had several applications of filler, sanding sealer and sanding. One or two more applications and it should be reasonably presentable. Hopefully I can apply the lessons being learned on this one to the other 6 or 7 Shipyard models I have.

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
No new photos but the hull has had several applications of filler, sanding sealer and sanding. One or two more applications and it should be reasonably presentable. Hopefully I can apply the lessons being learned on this one to the other 6 or 7 Shipyard models I have.

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy,

I just wanted to tell ya "nice site" salt. I am encouraging another friend of mine into attempting paper models and his interests are leaning towards old ships.
anyway, Just wanted to tell ya it looks good.

Greg aka GW