shipyard 1/96 Cleopatra

birder, I too am following your progress and I am very impressed with you abilities. I have several of Shipyards kits and they can be built to a high standard as you are doing. I like seeing you move forward each time you post. Keep up the good work.:wave:Rick

birder

Thank you also Rick! This has been a fun journey learning about these rigging details and some history of the Royal Navy, reading "Billy Ruffian"

birder

Progress moving to main mast, trying to finish gundeck and items that would be hard to get to with shrouds in the way
IMG_2375.jpg

Elliott

Hi Birder,

Just now returning after recovering from eye surgery. Very impressive work indeed. Cleo looks stunning. I was following your work and am looking forward to the rest of your rigging. Yes indeedy: be sure and complete all the deck furniture you can before the rigging obscures your ability to see and maneuver things around.

Regards,

Elliott

Romanator

I am following with great interest. Awesome work. :thumb: Someday I hope to try a ship like this, and this thread will be quite helpful when I start rigging.

birder

Thank you Elliott, agree completely, thank you Romanator this has been a fun build although I must make myself be patient and not rush things, used to airplanes that might take from days to a week maybe. Here's an update pic, although presently the starboard deadeyes have their lanyards now and all shrouds on the port side(larboard yes?) Trying out the boat racks
IMG_2455.jpg

Elliott

Rushing through a job is one of my biggest faults, especially if it's tedious work. I regret it every time. How did the boat racks turn out?

birder

Thanks Elliott, I think they look fine this way, it's different than the Shipyard plan slightly..

Elliott

Good pics. Thanks for the bow shot in particular. I see you have the catheads rigged for the anchors. I like the way the hearts are rigged to pull the two sections of the mainmast forestay together. I like detail pics. More!

The first shot (foremast) is great as it shows the remarkable detail in the kit and displays your rapidly improving rigging skills. How do you keep the rigging from collapsing the paper? Are you filling it (the paper)with something? Too bad you live in Washington state. If you were on the Gulf Coast I'd be wanting you to teach me your secrets.

Regards,

birder

Elliott--The model hull is very strong and will not collapse no matter what, the mast would break first I think, not that an experiment will be done! I was concerned about strengh all along, so made the hull extra thick card and glue (white glue). The channels I made wood to prevent warping, and used pins ca glued to the hull. The whole is stronger than the parts at this time, and the rigging is not overly tight, as I want it to not stress over time. The deck is extra thick laminated, but care not to wrinkle (so spray lamination with 3-m spray glue). Rigging is time consuming to learn, but at the rate I'm going it's not a problem to learn:mrgreen::thumb:

Millenniumfalsehood

Good grief, going from airplanes to ships and your first (guessing) effort turns out like *this*?! :eek: I'm not worthy!!

Seriously, the rigging, cannons, deck furniture, and planking really sell the scale of this kit. With all the time spent on this beauty, your cat must be extremely jealous. :mrgreen:

birder

Thank you for the kind words sir, must admit some motivating needed to hold my interest at this point, I still have a large bit to do...and there are some good looking planes out there...:mrgreen:

Millenniumfalsehood

I'd watch "Master And Commander" or "Pirates of the Caribbean" to get motivated to build sailing ships. Just look at the beautiful ships in those movies and think about the end result of your build

Works for me (I watched The Last Starfighter to get motivated to work on Thunderchild's Gunstar). :thumb:

birder

Right!, I can't say I've stalled, it just gets bogged in small details at times that have to be worked through. Not a problem, really, just no real visable changes for the time spent...however, it will lead to some real advances when done.:thumb:

birder

I have stopped forward progress somewhat, as am slowly adding to cleo as other projects move forward also... here is and update on the topmast parrells and foremast course yard that has been done for a month or so
IMG_2722.jpg