shipyard 1/96 Cleopatra

Beachead

Apr 13, 2007
N. Va, US
Saw a special about the USS Constitution that went over the rigging. Good grief but there are more names of the different lines than in some phone books. Its pretty cool you working on the rigging. Other than the ships hull design, its the most interesting to look at.

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
Thanks Beachead! Fortunately there is repetition and some sense eventually when the learning curve is attempted. Complicating things is the fact that different time periods has different rigging styles. Books are a must. It is fun, though.

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
Hi Birder!

Could you elaborate (with pics, please) on your method for making cardboard blocks? That caught my eye.

You're right about rigging being complicated by different time periods and styles. Often rigging differed even among different ships in the same class as captains and bosuns had their own preferences and opinions on rigging.

I have found a book (whose title completely escapes me at the moment) by Lennarth Petersen to be invaluable in unraveling the mysteries of rigging. Also "The Art of Rigging" by George Biddlecombe and "The Young Officer's Sheet Anchor" by Darcy Lever. What books are you using?

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
Hi Elliott! Well the 3mm blocks now seem rediculously expensive to me to purchase, so I'm mass producing them like this
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/birdergv/IMG_2287.jpg

I have only purchased one text, but downloaded one and one I studied from the library.
First, local library; Wolfram zu Mondfeld "Historic Ship Models" this is a great starting book, cheap at Amazon used, too.
Second downloaded portions pertaining to Cleo Steel's original old English text 1794 so not exact to Cleo's 1778, but she was in service to 1812 or so.
Purchased; James Lees "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860" Concise, authoritative, my go to text for accuracy, but I'd still read Monfeld first.

lizzienewell

Jun 24, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
lizzienewell.com
Love the vocabulary. What exactly is "bobsprit gammoning," "bobstay", Oh at the words from a earlier post "fishcheeks?" "captree?"

I would love to see a list with a sample of your great vocabulary and what the words mean.

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
Well, I think at modelshipworld you could have a field day! One reference for download includes all the lines and old names dating back to 1796 Steel's reference on rigging, lots of old names and literary styles there!

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
Here's a up top view
IMG_2366.jpg

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
working on lanyards for the deadeyes, slow progress but moving forward. (Does anyone look at this thread? Please comment if you are interested and following)
IMG_2370.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Very nice Birder.

My Grandfather in-law builds ships of sail. Plank on frame. I'm envious of his skills.

You look to have those same skills. I don't know how you manage those deadeyes. Very figity stuff.

Looking very good so far!

birder

Mar 9, 2008
Wa
Thank you also Eib! Perhaps my tinkering over the years in the woodshop has helped me as much as all the card aircraft...Thank-you!