Ships of the Terran Trade Authority

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Apr 23, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

One from the past ....

An old series of books that tried to piece together some classic Sci fi artwork from book covefrs and turn it into something coherent with a back-story. A book I recall from my youth, and one I still have a very battered copy of to this day! Sadly, I don;t have the space-wrecks book or the other 2 in the series... but I do have the first one.

The ships in there are all ( well...nearly all ) great modelling subjects, and I plan to turn them into paper models one and all! Modelling work has begun following an extensive 'read book - sketch ships - re-read - resketch' process, I have pretty much fixed in my mind the ships forms, and am ready to model. It's not as easy as it may seem...since you only get one view of hte ship and it never shows it all! I have seen some other artwork relating to the subjects on the net .... and spotted some glaring issues with most of them!

First build ..... Proximan K13 Shark. Mesh ----- 100% Texture 75% unfold 0%

more to follow!
  2. Joe Brown

Joe Brown New Member

3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Oh yes... know the links well :mrgreen:

the trouble with a lot of the fan art stuff is that I disagree with their interpretations! Especially some of the rendered 3D work on the old bisbo site. Their CAM117 is the wrong shape, and the Sentinel Major is way off. I prefer to go with my gut instinct if it isn't on the picture!
  4. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Glad you are going to do the TTA models, big fan of the books and love the pictures by Peter Elson. Thank you for adding these models to your already overfull design list. I have 3 of the TTA books somewhere ,if I can find them I might be able to help with some pictures, I sure the Shark was featured more than once.
    Thanks again Phil
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Nearly done with the textures,wthjust a few more details to add with the wing and front area. Quite pleased with how she looks so far!

6. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Oh that is looking sweet!!:thumb:
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

textures done .... will start unfolding tomorrow :)

This one is a pretty simple ship, and is mostly tubes and cones. The next one will be a little more complex :twisted:
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Whoot! Looking good!
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

TTA Cutlass

I'm not sure if I ever actually released this one, but a while back I was toying with the Cutlass and got it to the workable beta stage.

Released here for public consumption/alteration/retexture. NOT for sale use.

If I find it for sale, I will hunt you down and kill you. :mrgreen:

View attachment TTA Cutlass.pdf
  10. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Nice work, ekuth. Are you going to do some of the Chris Foss ships? His designs are really good.
  11. Traveller

Traveller New Member

I remember those TTA books!
  12. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Nice Cutlass Ekuth :)

Going to do a slightly different version myself, because I reckon the line drawing apparantly showing the 'top' of the ship is all wrong in the book! The curves on the top of the ship are reversed compared to the artwork, and the engine deck afrea cannot be at the same level as the front hull as a result...

yes....I have spent too much time studying the ships here....

I have come up with a slightly different interpretation of how the ship's upper side would look. Personal choice!
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Just need to finish the wing and join the front and rear fuselage halves together, and she is done. Quite pleased with it so far!
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Nice job Flare, I don't know how you do the small stuff, but it sure looks good.:thumb:

ARMORMAN Guest

16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Got some more work done, and now just have to do the Hydrogen Collectors on the back of the wings. It probably would have been easier if I had made it a little bit bigger.... and I might do just that before I release it! Otherwise, it hasbuilt exactly as I hoped and gone together well.

17. Traveller

Traveller New Member

That is very cool!
  18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK ... The Shark has been sent in for uploading and should be available soon!

I have scaled up the PDO from my original test build, since there seemed to be rather a lot of VERY fiddly bits for the Hydrogen Collectors on the wings. A bigger PDO can always be scaled down when you rpint it with no difficulty if you want a smaller one! It's not so easy to scale UP.....

Build and enjoy!

Next ship on the slipways is the Skymaster 28 ... available in a Civilian red scheme ( as per the book ) and an optional camo scheme for the military troop carrier version. Mesh for the Skymaster is done, and the textures are nearly there. Will post a pic of her soon.
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Progress to date:

She's a very simple ship to model, but was one of the ones I always kind of liked! Tried to model it as a young lad from a toilet roll tube and half a ping-pong ball! Moved on a bit since then :p