Ship model

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Eskimo aft dechouse

Hi

populated most of the aft deck house the square ventilators seem to be Ok, the carley floats need doubling for a bit more height. I quit adding to the page when my computer kept running out of space and couldn't be bothered to start another one just for the small vents, so I built what I had got. Quite a bit of revamping to do still the torpedo tubes need a much longer cutback and end plates, the searchlight platform needs more accurate sides and of course the hull needs a fair bit of work especially that sticking out rib but it should be possible.

PIC_1178.JPG

Aft deckhouse furniture.

PIC_1179.JPG

silhouette seems to be about right

barry

CRS

May 26, 2005
Szczecin Poland
Helow Barry! Very good work! I have been always amazed by people who draw their own models! Try to paint edges in a proper colour, it will make this model more attractive! Try to make your own rails :) Keep it up! Waiting for an end of this model :)
(I like destroyers very much...they are beautiful and you can keep 3 destroyers instead of one Battleship ;))) )

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Great work sir, the smaller bits do seem to be the "speed bump" in designing and detailing these things, you are doing an exceptional job, Huzzah :!:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
@jim and ted

Thanks for the encouragement

@crs

You are right of course the whole thing has to be rebuilt properly after this run through still checking if the parts fit. I agree on the destroyers because I am running out of space but usually at 1/250 they will fit on A4 paper more easily.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
4.7 guns

latest attempt at 4.7 with loaders, guns seem to have come out OK but about 10% overscale with exception of the barrels, but they were done on a different sheet. Quick trip back to the drawing board tomorrow I think.

PIC_1180.JPG

not so bad naked

PIC_1181.JPG

it's just when you put the clothes on

PIC_1183.JPG

How to look a pratt in 1 easy lesson never mind it's fun they tell me.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Eskimo end of trial run

Hi All

Much to everybody's relief it's time to go back to the drawing board and see if this will acually build into a reasonable model. I have tried most of the things needed but the whole thing is looking decidedly tacky.

Jim I will post enough for you to see how I did it for a while I am going back to Hood my eyes need a rest.

PIC_1191.JPG

Part of the pile "not quite right"

PIC_1192.JPG

first try at funnel trunking and blowers

PIC_1194.JPG

Mike Urban sent me some interesting camouflage colours which might make it a bit more interesting next time round.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Great job, Barry! :D

With each new addition to this design she is looking better and better.

Please rest your eyes very well, mate, we all want to see more of this as the design progresses. Can't believe this is your first design; it's really a very complex set of parts and you are carrying it off so very well. Keep at it!!

Cheers,

Jim

CRS

May 26, 2005
Szczecin Poland
Helow Barry! Your model looks great! But one tip...when you are rolling the barrel try to lick paper before rolling...then your's barrels will be beautifull round. And roll them beginning from something like pencil, then something smaller to toothpick or even something smaller. I hope effects will satisfy you.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Eskimo boats

It's ships boats week this is the first try for Eskimo the whaler is very crude and needs the bilge planks and the seats cut. It will also need rescaling to about 5mm shorter in length but the fit looks good enough.

The launch is about right standard Wilhelmshaven pattern as I refer to them.

PIC_1188e.jpg

PIC_1189e.jpg

@crs licking the back is a good idea if it is "real" printing but not if it is printer ink it all comes off.
barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
standard designx

Hi Darwin

Sorry but where I come from we call a spade a shovel in the case of motor launches I first built one 37 years ago and no matter what you do you will end up with this shape mainly because it is that shape. Same as a funnel if it is to scale a Tribal funnel comes out that shape. The best launch in my opinion is the one from Adriano on Savage but it's not that different. By the way classic Wilhelmshaven have a spine, that one of mine does not.

Interesting point really I can redesign it with the sides moved up to fold down with the deck instead of the keel etc but the design was origianally (I think) Wilhelmshaven. The whaler welll they are 2 bananas and a couple of bits stuck in them and I cannot see another way of doing it. So far I have and my fellow conspiritors have redrawn everthing from scratch. The next bit to give trouble is the fire director tower which is a dustbin on a thick stick with a bit chopped out of the front and for the life of me I cannot see a way round that.

So with much amusement Officer Jones sort the bones out of that.

yours tongue in cheek

barry

ps just to be awkward I might just design it with a full spine anf formers !!!

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Barry, my reference was to the gun barrels. With sufficient practice, one can can lick the backside without wetting the print side (and yes, it really was Bull Durm....Prince Albert was already out of his can by the time I had the habit).

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Bull Durham

It's probably cos I use a rolling tin mate, no control over the gummy bit, no wonder you are good at barrels.

barry