PIC_1181.JPG

PIC_1183.JPG

sorry about the quality

barry

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
:wink:

Jim

This is a scratch build by Barry, using an absolutely new technique he's just invented :lol:, and by now you should be able to identify the subject.

Cheers
Maurice

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Yes it's a Tribal

Give that man an orange

WEll at least somebody recognised it that's a start.

@jim

Sorry mate just had to have a go back at the aircraft boys and their series of what's this. I got a bit fed up moaning about Hood so I thought I ought to try making a model mysell. I have no draughting programs to speak of and all the ones I load down I cannot not make head or tail of, they live on a different planet to me, so the experiment is canyou manage without them. So far it has worked but of course I now find I am a bit of a ninny at using colouring programs as well. If it works then maybe it will help others if it does not we will sink it as a blockship. Maurice was kind enough to find the plans for me.

The real truth is I just like Tribal class destroyers when I was a kid they were the bees knees.

barry

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Hi Guys, I'll second Barry. There was a Revell modell in the 70/80s of the Ark royal and a Tribal class destroyer in 1/720 scale. I built the Ark up with here 4-6 Fairey Fulmers,(no other aircraft that I can remeber, odd as I wanted the ole' Swordfish), then I turned to the "dinky" little ship in the duo and kinda fell in luv with the little thing. She looked fast, sleek and full of business, and one heck' ova lot nastier than the Lindberg line Fletcher I had in my collection. When this ship is released I'll take my place in line for a copy of Her 8)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
A bit further on

A tortuous path doing it this way takes a fair few sheets of paper. It makes a change though.

If anyone has any photos of the Tribal class decks they would be much appreciated.

PIC_1184.JPG

definately empirical sides

PIC_1185.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hull sides

Hi All

Did not quite make the bow meet exactly but I am reasonably happy how it has turned out.

Tribal class about 1938 pendant L75 HMS Eskimo nearish to 1/250 th scale.

I picked this class because of the fairly simple lines and the rounded stern, anything else would have been too complicated for me. Still learning how to colour things which should help on the next try. It would also have been better if I had used card board instead of 80 gsm paper for the overlays on the Kellogs packets. Also I think removing former 2 would be more sense to get an easy line to the bow it's a bit fierce at the moment.

PIC_1186.JPG

PIC_1187.JPG

PIC_1189.JPG

PIC_1190.JPG

this one is for size

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
deckhouses

hi

Slow progress and the revised afterdeck overlay (80 gsm paper) will never be fitted due to some better info from Rob. I am now trying to learn to use Neopaint mainly because I have it rather than choice

I use photoshop 4 to move bits about.

PIC_1199.JPG

screenshot1.jpg

Fiddle screen for deck house sides crude but effective

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Bazzer

Great stuff and slow is the best way, its worth waitting to see how she comes along.

Fine job mate and keep at it, I don't use any posh programs.
Just Paint Shop Pro, Key CAD and MS Paint

Have fun thats the main thing

Oh and MORE :lol: :lol:

Rob

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Barry, the design is looking really good. As far as my experience goes, the most critical factor is not how superadvanced your graphics software is, but rather how comfortable you are in using it. If you haven't run tried it yet, I would recommend downloading a copy of Cursor Art's Image Forge freebie version. My major criticism of it is the amount of memory required to make it work right....I don't think their programmer has ever heard of virtual memory. 256 meg ram is marginal for the kind of graphics work we are doing. 504 Meg seems to be needed to make it run really well.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Barry, the design is looking great, it seems the best graphics programs are the simple ones. I have virtually every freebie graphics programs and a few bought ones, the one that are the simplest, paintshop pro, the MS paint that comes with most MS system computers, are the ones that the best works come from. My hats off to your design sir!

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Eskimo

Hi All

I will have to stop this one for a bit my wrists are dropping off, so it's back to Hood for a few days.

Thanks for the info on he simple programs, Rob did send me a quicktutorial on curve fitting in MSPaint.That bit was fine and worked really well, however will some kind soul tell me how to control the output size on this b******dy program. Sorry I am being thick again !!!

I must admit I do miss my drawing board and my beautiful beam compasses etc etc all donated to the family at one time or another I think I could draw the square bits so much quicker with a pencil (luddite put it down to old age) Maybe I will ask them if they ever use them and have they still got them.

Anyway I had a go at the main body of the bridge today it came out reasonably well so far, now I have to sort out the detail bits not so simple !!! I also updated the deck overlays using white markers for the more simple parts of the deck houses and leaving the rest to sort itself out,at least that way you don't get so many white bits showing. I will eventually take the white markers out.

PIC_1200.JPG

PIC_1202.JPG

I actullay managed to merge the anchor windlass positions today but I think I have allready forgotten how I did it.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Eskimo in the sunlight

Hi All

The rain stopped is the only excuse for these pics, well I added the first go at the torpedo tubes. Troubble was the platform is half scale and the tubes are about right. The pics show the error on rib two a bit to clearly.

I suppose the next thing is to try and get a gun turret to work.

I must have tried to design the 2 deckhouses under the AA platform about 10 times this time I got out the ruler and drew the damn things.

Thanks for the free cylinders program from Gremir I will have to buy the pack if I do much more of this, unfortunately it is addictive.

I am now a fan of MSPaint even I can hit a pixel with that blow up.

hmsafridi.JPG

They were beautiful ships.

PIC_1205.JPG

PIC_1206.JPG

PIC_1207.JPG

draughtsman.JPG

and finally my thanks to this guy who drew the plans if anyone knows the location of this set on Narod.ru ? please let me know. And to the real designers I take my hat off to you and I will not curse so much at any errors.

barry