Ship Hulls from drawings, a cry for help!

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by jaffro, Jan 2, 2008.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I am just wondering if there is an easy way to create a ship hull based off accurate 2D drawings. I understand the concepts involved, but all my attempts to learn how to do it myself end in frustration, most likely because I don't really have a true desire to learn, I just need the hull. :D

I'm not so much asking for a step by step guide, but perhaps a pointer in the right direction, or to be honest, if you really want to save me, an offer to create the hull model for me won't be knocked back either. :oops:

This has been a project I've had on the back burner for a while now, with no deadline. Now I have 6 months to complete her, so don't have "all the time in the world" to learn the things I need to do.
    I have been "commissioned" by my other half to build a 1:96 scale model of the destroyer her father served on during the vietnam war. At first I was going to buy and build the only kit available of the ship in question but at 1:350 it's just too small, I want to build him a "museum" type model.

I've got no shortage of reference material (well, a shortage, but I also scored well a few months back). I managed to get hold of a few other guys who served on her and similar ships and thanks to some awesome generosity I now have a full set of copies of the actual plans they built the ship from, printed out at 1:72 scale.

So I'm kind of wondering, where do I go from here? Is it beyond my capabilities to learn the basics and get this ship designed, printed and built in 6 months? Is there anyone out there who would like to have a go at doing a hull for me? (as in formers and hull plating). I could pay for your time but can't afford much.

The main obstacle I have right now is the Hull, I believe I can scratch build the superstructures etc without too much hassle, I am also in contact with a guy who builds museum quality models and has done 4 of these particular ships in 1:72 and has some leftover antenna's etc.

This is about the only digital copy of a plan I have been able to find, from what I've read on these forums it has all the info I need to design and build the hull as a card model, I'm just not sure how to use it exactly.

And just for kicks, this is basically the end result I would like to achieve with this project, but using mainly paper and card to get there.

So to sum it all up... HELP!! Any help anyone can give me with this will be GREATLY appreciated, and if possible compensated. It's not often you get to hear "I want you to start that model and I need you to work on it as much as you can to get it done and you can have the dining table to build it on" so I really need to get the ball rolling on this one. :D
  2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Is that a Fletcher Class Destroyer? Why not take the 1/350th model and resize it, or if you can find a Digital Navy ship resize that to the scale you want. It shouldn't take more than a day or two to do the sizing and you can change the hull number to anything you want. If you have references I'm sure I can help you out. I resized Ron Caudillo's paper model and used Alan Sinclair's blueprints to create the basic parts for my 1/350th project. why not follow something like that?

If you want, I can go over a fiberglass primer and you can make your parts out of fiberglass and bondo using the paper model, or templates to create the fiberglass parts.:thumb:

Edit, I see now that it's a Daring class. You should be able to get complete blueprints for that ship, complete with framing of the hull and keel. I'd check with DD. I could probably knock that hull out in a week.
  4. davelant

davelant Member

jaffro, your confusion is well-founded. The elevation and plan views you have of the ship are insufficient to specify the shape of the hull. Complete ship plans specify the contours of the hull at different heights above and below the waterline, and the contours at different horizontal distances (stations) from the bow. Real ship plans look more like this:

Ship Modeling FAQ, Question 81 --- Revised: December 17, 2004

The previous suggestion, to rescale an existing model, sounds like a good course.
  5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Dyna-Soar: Thanks for reminding me about that thread, I intend to use some of those type of methods when I get to the superstructure etc, I'm really not sure how to translate that process to get the hull and formers I need for what I want to do (model will be 2-3 feet long).

CJTK1701: Thanks for that link, I'll definitely be spending more time there over the course of this build.. :thumb:

Yes it is a Daring class, I will be building the H.M.A.S. Vendetta, an Australian variant of the Daring class, in her late 60's configuration (prior to a major refit).

davelant: I do in fact have full detailed plans for this ship, see the photo's below for an example. I can't fit them on the scanner, it's printed in 1:96 scale (i mentioned 1:72 earlier, before dusting off the plans and checking again).

I can provide more photo's or scan the hull plans in parts and try to rejoin it all if anyone would like a look at them.

I have considered basing this on an existing model, but have not yet found something as close to the Daring as I would like, there's a nice resin kit in 1:350 scale but that is too small for what i want to do here and I can't find anything in card that's freely downloadable and close enough to what I want.

I have spent months researching this project a little at a time and slowly making progress, the reason I am resorting to enlisting outside help right now is that I have a deadline to finish this in 6 months and at the pace I work, I kinda need a bit of a headstart or kick in the right direction.

Like I said earlier, it's really only the hull that concerns me, the plans I have are incredibly detailed and 100% accurate to the time my partner's father served on the ship so building all the superstructures and other details shouldn't be a problem, and I intend to do those pretty much by hand by eye, using the plans... I'm really looking forward to that bit, I just need a hull to base it all on.

Thanks for the replies.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Oh... it's like i just had one of those epifany things... lol.

Thanks to a combination of all of the above replies, in particular a bit of digging around at the link davelant gave me, I think I can see now how to scratch build a full hull with formers based on my plans.

The link davelant gave me basically explained that weird line drawing of the hull plan in my photo above, and looking at it now I can see how to use it to make my formers, and then I can make a frame to mount them to based on the profile hull plan.

I think... :p
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you start with your inner most hull frames and build out from the center that should give you a closer idea as to how to complete the exterior hull. I'd start aft and move forward from that point.

If you like, send me some of your hull scans and I'll stitch them together and look them over, if need be I can knock out the lower hull while you work on the superstructure.:thumb:
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm currently looking into prices to get the whole thing scanned, otherwise later today i'll have a go at scanning the whole thing in parts...

The sheet i need to scan is approx. 150cm wide so I think that even if I do find a commercial scanning solution it may be out of my price range.

I've had an offer in PM to help design the Hull so thanks for all the offers so far, when a bit of progress has been made in that department I'll start a new thread and this project will be underway, full steam ahead. :thumb:

If anyone would like a look at the scans, feel free to ask.

Thanks again,

10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Jaffro, if I can have a look at the scans before the 4th I might be able to come up with a pdf or any resonable format for the underwater hull in one day's worth of time... (my laptop is gone after then) If that's not possible I'm sure any other designer here would be able to help ^^
  11. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm trying to scan at the moment but due to the size of the plans I'm having trouble getting all the scans to scan "in line" with each other... ie: there's a few deviations in the angles which are going to make it hard to join them all back up.

Is this an issue I need to deal with before handing out scans or can they be easily manipulated digitally?
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'm not too furnished in the "photoshop department" but I think slight mismatch or misalignment shouldn't cause too much problem ^^