Ship building tutorials etc

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ron, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys :)

I've been watching all of these incredible ships come together right here
    in front of my eyes and I'm wondering... would it be feasable to start up a series of articles or tutorials? I'm thinking of articles that would give the aspiring ship modeler a good running start. From personal experience, the hulls with their plating are what ultimately sink the ship for me before it even gets out of port :)

Talk soon

2. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

I for one think it is a great idea. I find myself buying models I have seen built on the website. I think this is a great addition. Also considering the fact that many of the best kits are published in Polish and German it is great to have visual as well as translated references. Thanks for the offer.

3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Ron

Another good idea, it will be good for all of us I think :D

We all have our own way of doing things, it would be great to see the ideas in one item.
    It would save a hell of a lot of time going back into old threads to find that tip you had seen

4. Wilfried

Wilfried New Member

Hello Ron,

your idea sounds good; I started a little tutorial last year on The intention was, we've had a lot of beginners and a lot of FAQs too.
    The title was "Starting a hull right from the beginning - step by step".
    But take a look at yourself - if you like:

With the best regards
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

What a great idea, Ron!

And a great thread you started, Wilfried!

If you don't mind my asking, what is that red handled pin called, and where can you get them...the closest I found on this side of the pond is a push pin, but the shaft is too short to be workable with my big fingers.

So, how are we going to start the tutorial, will a topic be posted for comments and additions? Would it be a good idea to pick a nice beginner's ship model to start with?

I look forward to this idea going forward, I know there is a lot I can learn from you all, and maybe contribute a few ideas here and there myself.

6. ShipWreak

ShipWreak New Member

What happen here?

Hello everyone,

What happen to this thread....... I think its a great idea. Im new to card modeling and would benefit from a thread like this. Iv tried several times to get a hull started but havne/t had the resultz Im looking for. I don't know if that's due to my picky eye and the desire for near perfection, or just not a real good understanding of how to get a start on a hull. Iv looked at the photos in other threads, but have a lot of questions about building sections and putting them together without a big mess resulting.

Shipwreak ;-)
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, ShipWreak! :smile: Nice name. ;-)

I'm sure if you post a question here you're bound to get a few answers. Which ship are you working on? They're a lot of different types of construction used by the designers, full hull and waterline, and there's a wealth of experience here with many of them, so go ahead and pick a few brains. :smile:

8. ShipWreak

ShipWreak New Member

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.....

Im not working on the ship at the moment.... Im just trying to get a little practice beforehand. Im planing/playing with a build, looking at a photo of a French "P 400 class" (fast attack patrol craft). It has a high angular midship structure and very unusual twin funnels aft and atop of the superstructure, at the outboard extremities of the hull. The name of the ship is... L'AUDACIEUSA (P682), length is 54.5 ft., beam is only 8.0 ft., displacement is 454.0 ton.

This is my second attempt to see if I have what it takes to scratch build, but having a little problem with getting all the seams and cracks in the hull to a minimum.

Is there a trick to covering them up or must I be so precise in measurements and cuts, that I don't have any cracks ;-P ... Im thinking maybe some type of crack filler. I don't want to start all over again, that's called getting discouraged for the third time :?
  9. ShipWreak

ShipWreak New Member

what type of material

Ok Guys,

What type of material do you use for filling cracks and joints. Iv seen some modelers using some type of green material and sanding it after it dries.

What do you use and how do you apply it?

Ship :)
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Ship! :smile:

What you describe sounds like Squadron putty, something I used to use in making plastic model kits a long time ago. I'm sure it's still around, but I don't know how it would work on paper...I suppose it would be fine, when it dries you just sand it smooth.

I saw something else that has grabbed by interest on another website. It's called Creative Paperclay, which is said to be made up from wood pulp, talc, volcanic ash and starch, and can be molded like clay. I could see it being used to fill cracks and the like on a paper model, but obviously I haven't tried it at all, let along for that use. Here is a link to the manufacturer's site:

Another thing that I have used is to brush on PVA into small cracks and imperfections, and lightly sanded when dry it worked well. Another trick I first saw in a build thread here was to use PVA mixed with water color paints to color the glue. When applied it really hid any cracks and uneven spots very well, and had the added bonus of being already colored. Christoph whose models I admire so very much was one model master I saw use this technique between seams on the hull planking.

I imagine there are many more ways of dealing with this problem, and it's just a matter of using your imagination. If you are giving the area being treated a covering coat of paint anyway, the ways of filling the cracks are probably endless. If you've ever worked with wooden ships you probably came across something called Gesso, which is a power you mix with water to create a paste. I believe the original use was in water color painting to create a base coat on the canvas or painting medium, but I personally used it to fill in cracks on the first planking to smooth out some defects. I don't see why it can't be used for the same reason on paper hulls, keeping in mind it is water based and will affect the paper to some extent until the paste thoroughly dries and sets. My fear is the way it might peel or curl the hull plates, because of the water.

Not sure this answers your question or presents a solution, but at least it is some things to think about. I rather like using the PVA colored with paint method for smaller cracks and seams, it works so well...especially if you give the entire area a final paint coat in the end.

Hope this helps.

11. ShipWreak

ShipWreak New Member

Thanks Jim, that was a quick reply.

I will look into all the options you presented. I think I agree with you on the PVA and water color sense I have a good set of colors already.

The gesso might warp the paper as it sets and the paper is under it without any air while it dries. Maybe a very light coat only in the cracks would work, but again I think your right about the consequences of water on paper.

Thanks again Jim,

12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Some choices for crack filling:

1.) Magic Modeling Filler
    2.) Mixture of Acrylic Gloss Medium and Micro Balloons (home made version of Magic Modeling Filler).
    3.) Vinyl Light Spackle
    4.) Acrylic Modeling Paste
    5.) Paper Pulp mixed with methyl cellulose and whiting (paper based filler)

All are water based requiring that the surface be prepared by sealing with acrylic matte or gloss spray before applying the filler. Personally I like the home made mixture of Acrylic Gloss Medium and Micro Balloons or the Acrylic Modeling Paste. It depends upon the situation which is used. The home made mixture is easier to sand than the paste. Use the "hard" Acrylic Modeling Paste where a lot of strength is required.

13. ShipWreak

ShipWreak New Member

Thanks Gil,

I didn't know there was so many different products for filler material.

I have a bottle of acrylic gloss medium but wouldn't know where to find the micro balloons. I assume these are glass beads, almost in a power form.

Would a model shop carry such products or possible a good hardware store?

14. Gil

Gil Active Member

They can be found at shops that cater to the boat building crowd. Suppliers of fiberglass, polyester and epoxy resins will carry micro balloons. They're microscopically small glass balloons that are used to thicken and lighten resins. You can also try bread flour. The original bondo was a combination of polyester thickened with flour.

15. Darwin

Darwin Member

Back in the days I was into fly-fly stuff, I was able to purchase microballoons mailorder from from Sig hobbies. I suspect they are still around....most hobby shops catering to the RC crowd should carry it.
  16. Zatzokzap

Zatzokzap New Member

Great information
  17. Zatzokzap

Zatzokzap New Member

Great information