SHAY Parts & Wiring

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Jim_Tenn, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Jim_Tenn

Jim_Tenn New Member

Hello! I am returning to model railroading after a 20-year Hiatus. Way back in the 80's, I started an HO Gauge layout for our kids but then got caught-up with life. Just recently, my wife suggested I dig-out the old benchwork and finish the layout -- this time for the GRANDkids! HA! So here I am...

In the process I just recently acquired a 2-Truck, 3-Cylinder Shay (Roundhouse Model No. 360). It is missing the rear tender light and the "red" wire is not connected to anything. Is anyone familiar with Roundhouse Shays to suggest something about the wiring? And does anyone happen to have an old rear tender light laying-around I might be able to get my hands on?

Also, I have read things about electrical retrofits for Shays. Does this particular Shay fall into that category -- where I should consider gutting it and starting over?

I'm new to this forum but it looks like a great place to hang-out. I expect I'll get to know several of you old-timers and look forward to it!

2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge Jim. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you in your quest to get this shay running.
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :thumb: Try this link for any re-gearing ideas>>> prod list/pdf prod08.htm

As for the rear light, I've checked my kibbles and bits box and found it bare. You could use this as an opportunity to "personalize" it with some Cal-Scale stuff. :thumb:
  4. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Jim.
    One of the wires from the motor will go to ground.
    The other will go to one of the insulated bolts ( the rear one) that come up through the frame near the gearbox. (see the second page in the link below for a photo of Drew's Shay chassis showing the motor and wiring).
    I replaced the lights on mine (already installed them on other locos) as well as replaced the electrical system and a few other modifications.
    Here's a link to some photos of the rebuild.
    You may not want to go to that extreme but may get some ideas.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

There you go, Jim---Ray is to "The Gauge" what Norm Abrams is to "This Old House" ;)