Shay No. 1 Crossing Millers Creek Trestle

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Casey that's very nice. How did you make the water?

Tyson, I made a "thick" mix of molding plaster which I then applied as a thin layer under and around the trestle and then on down the creek bed. Before it could get too dry, I worked it with my fingers to create an uneven, "eroded" shoreline. After it had all dried completely, I sprayed the deepest areas with flat black acrylic. Next came "damp" (not wet, not dry) brushings of burnt umber, burnt sienna, and oxide brown acrylics over the shallows. I made no attempt to keep the colors separated but deliberately overlapped and mixed them. Finally, I damp brushed and feathered in olive drab acrylic just along the edges between the deeper water and the shallows.

A couple of days later - after the paint had cured - I poured Envirotex over the whole thing. Because Envirotex tends to sink to the lowest points, some of the higher ridges of painted plaster are actually above the "water's" surface, creating the appearance of mud flats and shallows.

Originally posted by Bob Collins
Casey;

And just where does the Central Missouri & Southern operate, down from Jeff City through Freeburg, Vienna to Rolla:D :D

And where might you be located, somewhere along that mainline:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

Bob, since you're from Rolla, you probably already know there is no prototype for the CM&S. In terms of the geography, I have deliberately left my own thinking fuzzy about where the CM&S operates. That's because I wanted to avoid having to model any specific proto city or town. So in my mind, the CM&S operates in some vague area south of Columbia/Jeff City and on down into the Osage Valley (an area that is especially dear to my heart!). The towns it serves will be representations of the small communities you could typically find in the Missouri Ozarks. Many of the place names will have the same Ozark flavor as the real ones: Tater Hollow, Possum Hollow, Boo Booger Hollow, etc.

Actually, though, the CM&S isn't the main focus of my layout. It just happens to be the area that I finished first. The main focus will be on my Osage Valley Tie & Lumber Co.'s hardwood logging and rr tie production. To that end, I'm still working on bench work and building related structures (the machine shop photos on my website show one such structure.) This portion of the layout requires some very careful planning. Not only do I want to include logging operations and milling, but I also want to have tie collection points (where the tie hackers dropped off their wagon loads) and tie rafting (which was quite common on the Osage and Current Rivers, just to name two).

Did you know at one time (for a brief period between 1910 and 1915 or so) the world's largest sawmill was at Grandin, Mo? Likewise, the T.J. Moss Tie Co. of St. Louis was one of the world's largest producers of rr ties. Of course it all came to an end during the late 1920's, when the white oak and yellow pine forests of southern Missouri were harvested out.

The CM&S will interchange with the OVT&L at the mill site. Presumably it could interchange at the other end with the Missouri Pacific or the MKT or the Rock Island or ..... :rolleyes:

If I haven't bored you to death already, there's a fuller explanation for the CM&S and the OVT&L printed on one of my web pages.

As for where I am located, I live north of Kansas City. I also have a place at the Lake of the Ozarks. Since I'm retired, I divide my time between the two places and get some modeling done at each. The layout- what there is of it - is in my basement in Liberty.

This was probably more than you ever wanted to know. :eek:

Thanks for the Compliment

Originally posted by Bill Pontin
Hi Casey,

Thought that loco and it's setting looked familiar. You were featured in the March 2001 Finescale Railroader. Fantastic article and pictures.

Bill Pontin

You're right, Bill, and thanks for the compliments.

Uncle Russ has scheduled another one of my articles for the Narrow Gauge Annual at the end of August. The subject is my OVT&L machine shop. I'm not sure how much of the article he will actually use this time because it's apparently part of larger spread on machine shops in general. He wrote me that he's thinking of featuring at least 3 shops, each in a different scale.

The irony is that my shop is tracked for standard gauge. :rolleyes:

BTW: in my travels to various forums over the last several months, you are the first FR reader I have encountered. I frequently mention FR in my posts but it seldom attracts any notice. That's too bad because FR has some of the finest model photography I've ever seen, yet so few people ever see it.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Casey, you are right on the quality of the photos in FR but you failed to mention the modeling itself. I have not seen an issue yet where the models shown do not exceed museum quality. Great magazine for ideas and how to's. I do not subscribe to the magazine but pick up a copy at my local hobby shop now and then, especially if there is anything about logging.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Casey, nice trestle bridge and photo, It looks like FR has been busy in the last few months, all my photographs have gone off the site along with 100's of others, only a few remain.
Shamus

Originally posted by shamus
Hi Casey, nice trestle bridge and photo, It looks like FR has been busy in the last few months, all my photographs have gone off the site along with 100's of others, only a few remain.
Shamus

Shamus, I just saw your posting. Sorry I didn't respond to it sooner.

You're right about FR's website and the photo gallery. Apparently, Uncle Russ archived all of the gallery on CD's but has no plans to repost them on the new site. The last time I checked the site, there were only a handful of new photos posted.

The truth is, I think FR's days are numbered as a magazine and a website. Russ has repositioned and refocused the magazine several times in the last 5 years in an effort to increase readership. In doing so, however, I think all that got accomplished was to drive off even more readers with each attempt. Even the online forum is pretty dead now.