Shay inbound. NW forests no longer safe!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Brewer, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Brewer

Brewer Member

Hopefully it will arrive next week from Trainworld. I plan to put it to use on a VERY small logging layout based on Geren Mortensen's so called "little layout" (an extended version of the old gumstump & snowshoe plan) I hope to build sometime soon. I have been researching the OP&E in Western Oregon as I live nearby, but that would be more of an inspiration than a map I guess.

I doubt anything I build would be very prototypical to that line due to the scarcity of weird shortline stuff in N. Frankly, I'm shocked and delighted that Atlas did a Shay!

Anyone model that shortline or something similar?

Here's the plan drawn in On30 scale by Mr Mortensen. I'll have to reduce it to N, but I may add a smidge here and there so I can actually run a small train on it!

2. brakie

brakie Active Member

I think that will be a nice looking layout when its built and a mighty fine home for that Atlas Shay. :thumb:

Sadly there seems to be very few short line locomotives in N scale. :(
  3. Brewer

Brewer Member

The 'men in brown' made the delivery on time today.

Received the CWP '1 spot' Atlas Class-B Shay from Trainworld (they are great to deal with, but not too chatty on the phone!). It arrived packed to survived a drop. After an extensive search through the packing material, I found the Atlas box in perfect shape.

I have to say this little jewel has a certain WOW factor when you open the lid. The detail is quite extraordinary. Time to put it on the test track for a couple of to and fros! The gears moving on something so tiny is a sight to see. God forbid the drive train should ever come apart, the parts are just TINY! It ran smoothly and low speed performance was good.

Atlas deserves a pat on the back for creating this new shay. I think you will be pleased with this one.

4. Brewer

Brewer Member

One more with a coin for perspective:

This thing is really small.
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

They are real beauts with amzing detail. I had mine running on the Muskoka Model Railway club in Barrie Ont. this past weekend. It performed very well pulling about 8 cars. Got some oohs and ahhs from club members and others. Got mine from Fifer Hobbies
  6. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Thats one beautiful engine and the dime really shows how tiny it really is. I have not read one bad report on these shays anywhere. I sure hope my two sugar pines arrive soon.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave: