Shamus Power Co.

jmarksbery

Ok, I am working on a new project. I thought I would show how I use my puter to see a final end to a project. The building is a kitbashed Joes Fruit by Model Power. I needed a power station on the WC & T and you guessed it, named it after the man with the power Shamus, the green signs repersenting the fine folage of his layout. The project is no where near done, (glazing window, building the base and so on). It will be near the river, that is why I needed barges and tows. But I use my computer a lot to help with design and placements and give myself an idea of what I might want to do or change before I complete it. Well a picture is worth a t-------, here they are, comments and suggestions please. Jim :rolleyes: ;)

Attachments

• pic one.jpg
    pic one.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 287

Tyson Rayles

You wanted comments and suggestions, so here goes.............

Comment: You need to start building stuff for my layout! :rolleyes: :D

Suggestion: And sooner rather than later! :p :D :) ;)

A lovely bit of work there! I adore those tugs and barges, they are so, so, soooo..... functional !! ..:) hehehe, you thought I was going to say "cute":p .

Suggestions:-
Wouldn't it require some mechanism to get the coal out of the barges, perhaps a lifting conveyer belt/buckets?
Also pipework for loading (or unloading the deisel/propane/whatever).
Even without these bits it looks real industrial. Choose your wee plastic workers carefully, I hear there's a lot of lazy types around :D :D

Note:- I paint the inside of my buildings "Engine Black" so that interior lighting doesn't make the walls glow in the dark. That building will look super duper with interior (and exterior) lighting.

Well done sir !

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Well hello friend, thanks for the named structure, it looks excellent indeed, I am proud of it.
Now then, for your glazing, don't know if you have ever tried this but here goes.
Use some whitewood glue as it is from the carton, and with a brush go around the inside of the window frame. Then drag it across the window frame corner to corner until it fills the window. You will have a white window to start with, but it will dryout clear and you will have flush glazing. if you get any wood glue on the front, just use a damp cloth to wipe it away.
Shamus
waver.gif

Looks most excellent J ! Love the towboats too.

I've used Microscale Kristal Klear for smaller windows. I call it Gorilla snot. Never thought of plain ol' white glue, prolly what the Kristal Klear is basically.

t.

jmarksbery

Waiting to update

Plain white glue like Elmers dosn't work well for windows it stays milky looking. Anywho, I am waiting on a bunch of supplies to finish this project and that may be a while, (internet orders!!) But I have did a few things to the building, windows glazed, blinds hung, more thingies on the roof, ivy growing on the building, some water pipes run and a little more weathering, but that's it. Hope to get back with some pictures soon. And thanks again folks. Jim :rolleyes:

shamus

Registered Member
Re: Waiting to update

Originally posted by jmarksbery
Plain white glue like Elmers dosn't work well for windows it stays milky

If you use proper PVA Resin "W" white wood glue, it dries clear.
Shamus
waver.gif

spitfire

Really nice modelling J!

Call me a type-nerd, or a nit-picker if you will, but to me the sign is the only thing that doesn't look prototypical. Commercial signs never waste space - they like to get the name and the logo as big as possible. I've attached a shot showing what I mean. Feel free to copy and use it if you like. (Also feel free to tell me to mind my own business :D :D :D )

cheers
:p Val

Attachments

• powerco.jpg
    powerco.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 105

belg

power

Jim the models look great ,but since you ask for input here goes.Are you planning on bringing the power out of the building,and distributing it with maybe overhead powerlines?

jmarksbery

Yes, No, & Yes

Val, thanks for that input, and no I don't mind at all, I changed the sign, see what you think, If mine is too much I will go with your design. Thanks

Belg, the model is no where complete yet and yes I was planing on some wires to and from the structures, (waiting on my 4 internet orders, :( ) If you have more suggestions please let me know because this is to be an out in the front of layout project. Thanks to all again for the help.

Pic of sign follows::rolleyes:

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27