Setup to turn bridge lights on and off

docknee

Oct 26, 2006
Murphy NC
www.RichardandJoy.com
I have an IR control (Christmas Present) - I just built my first layout which is an on the wall layout. I built a bridge to go over my fireplace pipe and I would like to install some lights on the tresstle that would go on and off as the train goes over the bridge. You can see the bridge at http://www.richardandjoy.com/train_room_layout.htm

Very new to hobby so looking for ideas on what type of lights and method etc.
Thanks. If you wish to answer off forum use docknee@brmemc.net
Richard

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I looked at your slide show, and saw the bridge, but I didn't see a trestle. What sort of lights are you talking about? Do you mean signal lights or street type lights? If you want signal lights, I think you can buy o scale signals and then use bi polar led's. With bipolar leds, power fed to them one way turns the light red, and the other way turns it green. You could set it up to show green until the train arives and then turn red as the train passes, and back to green when it is away from the bridge into the next block.

docknee

Oct 26, 2006
Murphy NC
www.RichardandJoy.com
Of course, it is really a Compression Truss Bridges and I meant to say Truss <G> sorry.
I would like to put a couple small lights - something like the model power lights on the overhead girders that cross the truss sytem - really don't know what might look the best. I would like the lights to come on when the train goes over the bridge as it adds animation and most folks really enjoy watching the train go over that bridge. I am trying to add animation and interest to what I have which is difficult on my type of layout - I think - again all of this is new so I am learning as I go. THANKS
Richard

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
As long as you aren't afraid of a little soldering, these guys have a dark operated sensor that may be just what you're looking for >>> http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/category.asp?catid=134

They be have one only problem is a bad very like English translator staff on, but I can vouch for their kits and ease of construction. They are designed with the novice in mind and make for a nice crash course in simple circuits.

docknee

Oct 26, 2006
Murphy NC
www.RichardandJoy.com
kf4jqd said:
Hi Doctor:

The heck with the signal. I'm just amazed with your layout. Do you live in a log cabin house? I live about 20 miles from the TN/NC border. Just outside the Great Smoky Mountains! I would add a signal anyways!

Andy

Thanks Andy - I live on the TN border by Copperhill - western tip of NC and my house is all wood inside. Yes, I would like a signal or something to animate the layout - adds interest and I learn something new each time I add something
Richard