Serious question about uncoupling.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by amrail, Sep 9, 2006.

1. amrail

amrail New Member

I'm in the process of switching back to HO scale after being an O Gauge modeler the past 14 years. Much has changed. One thing I need to know before starting on the new layout. If I use magnetic couplers, what is the best item to use for auto uncoupling on mainlines? Kadee plates are good for sidings and yards but on a mainline, as you know, you want to be able to run trains past without unwanted uncoupling. Then when the local arrives, you want to uncouple the train to deliver a car and come back to the train to go on to the next stop. Anyone know how to remedy this problem? Thanks!! AMrail
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

amrail, i use a "Rix pick", works GREAT, EVERY TIME!:thumb: :D .
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

Rix Pix is good until you build your own cars using steel grab irons :eek: Ask me how I know that. :)

THere are several different makers of electro-magnetic ramps. They are active only when electricity is applied to the coil, making for a reliable uncoupler. Being buried under the ballastrequires marking the location with signs, LPBs or such.
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Bob, i TOTALLY AGREE with you on the electro-magnetic ramps:thumb: . but am a little lost on how a NON MAGNETIC, THIN, Rix Pix could cause damage to a car:confused: . they are 100% plastic, Very thin, and clearly DOES NOT touch the car:thumb:. do you shake alot? please enlighten me on how they could do damage, i am curious. THANKS:D -Deano View attachment 29690 View attachment 29691

Attached Files:

5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

;wave; welcome to the gauge I have been known to use a wood kabob stick sanded flat . other than that the electro magnet are the way to go.
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Rix used to make a device that looked like a lower case letter "h" where the tail was the handle. You would glue a small magnet to each lower side. Slip it over the coupler and it would pull the hoses apart to uncouple. If you had an Athearn caboose with steel ladders, or a box car that you have installed steel wire grabs on, the magnets would catch them and pull the cars pff the track.
  7. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

VERY TRUE RUSS!:D , i am familiar with those, HOWEVER, they ARE NOT a Rix Pix;) . but i do see what you are getting at, perhaps Bob got them mixed up:thumb: . :D -Deano
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you want hands off operation, the electro magnetic uncoupler is the way to go. I've tried the pix and prefer a little pick with a hook that pulls on the uncoupling hose.
    The h shaped magnetic thing always grabbed onto metal details (ladders and such) on the car ends.
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Sorry...hadda 70s flashback there...felt pretty good, too:thumb:

These are what I was talking about. Aggressive little boogers, too.

Attached Files:

• rix.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
  10. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

wait, that magnetic uncoupling thing is a bad idea? shoot... I don't feel like digging up my track ballast to install under track magnets (nor do i want magnets on my ties)
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

At the club, we use those 4 inch long sandwich toothpicks with the technocolor afros as uncouplers. At $1 for a pack of 50, they are very effective. Drop the point in between the knuckles, then twist clockwise---clean as a whistle:thumb:
  12. interurban

interurban Active Member

Yes Bob, I like cheap and cheerful and easy .
    That is the way a lot of the modular Layouts do it up here.

I do the same But I am playing with the magnet on the rails in a couple of area`s on the new layout.

Interesting read guys.
  13. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I use a 20 penny nail. Works pretty good.
  14. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Also a good storage method if you have digitrax throttles is a rubber band inbetween the knobs and the display then you can slide the toothpicks in the grooves. Maaan i'm really starting to have withdrawls. I need to get a run of track set up!!