Serious case of the HeeBee JeeBees now...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by MOS95B, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Clock Spider

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Holy Crap! :shock:
  3. Maurice

Maurice Member

4. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I spend six months in Hawaii working in the pineapple fields, one of the places that the Hawaiian species lives, they are HUGE, like size of your hand huge. There were a few time we got the shi- uhm, startled by these spiders. And they are fast. Big and fast. Two of my favorite things when it come to spiders (sarcasm).:cry:

From Wikipedia:
    In Hawaii, the term "Cane Spider" is the nickname for the common Huntsman Spider (Heteropoda Venatoria). . .

As the nickname implies, cane spiders are often found in sugar cane fields. At about three to five inches in length, cane spiders appear menacing but are in fact mostly timid and will flee from humans. If cornered and/or provoked they may bite and may rarely inject venom, which is not lethal and leaves no long term problems. . .

Their exceptional agility and speed, as well as their ability to contort and squeeze through tight spaces, give them a strong advantage both in capturing prey and evading predators. They feed at night, which is another thing that makes them frightening to humans.

Retrieved from ""

One time, as our group of pickers came to the end of the field, DOZENS came out running, hopping and jumping into the road ahead of us (away). It was neat, but I think everyone had a collective shiver at the sight also!
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hmmmm Brown Recluse Spiders are funner .... especially when your bitten and dont know it until it's days later and bad nasty things happen in the area bitten. =X
  6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

My mother was bitten by a brown recluse twice within the last two weeks. You should've seen that bullseye!
  7. Kaz

Kaz Member

8. Clock spider doesn't look that bad

9. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Daddy Longlegs, harmless. Can't tell by looking though!
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

My 'pet' spider

This is 'Fred' A comon house spider found in the UK. He's about 3" (75mm) across the legs. It's not THAT common to find them this large.

View attachment 9693

He lives behind the bookcase (and probably lots of other places where you can't see him) in my house. Although big and scary looking, he's completely harmless. His staple diet is small flies :twisted:

Since I hate small flies, I leave him in peace :wink:

Attached Files:

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

We have house centipedes all over the place in our house. Icky looking critters but their favorite food - SPIDERS!!

The kids hate bugs but boy oh boy do they get excited when they see a house centipede, charlotte goes up to them and tells them to do a good job eating the spiders (yeah we got those too - ugly yellow ones) I should look them up too. I think its this, will look closer next time I see one...
  12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

We got them, too. I hate those!! I call them Spiderpedes... They give me the creeps too....
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

perfectly harmless to humans - terror to spiders, silver fish and any other soft bodied intruders :)..... ugly as heck though!
  14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

If them Spiderpedes would stay out of my den/family room, I'd be perfectly harmless to them too... ;)
  15. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Ok...Hawaii is now off my list of places to visit...also Mark's house.

Anacrophobia was filmed with me in mind.
  16. k5083

k5083 Member

Okaaay, the duty of adjusting the kitchen clock for daylight time each year just got transferred to my wife.

Rick, love your sig file. Those are the two most important rules in life. Not in that order, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.