Sept. competition #1, prototype structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
For September, we're going to double your pleasure with two competitions. #1 will be any prototype structure, just any. A bridge, a tunnel, a building, a water tower or anything that qualifies as a structure. #2 competition will be the same thing, except it must be any model structure taken from a layout. There will be two voting threads, and two winners.

This thread is for submitting the full scale pictures.

The rules are simple:
  1. The picture must be of a full-scale structure and must be taken by the person submiting the picture
  2. Only registered members can enter, and only one entry per contest for each member
  3. all pictures must be uploaded to the Gauge or linked so the picture is posted, not the link URL.
  4. All other rules for posting and for this competition that are posted elsewhere, apply
This contest closes the last day of September.

Good luck and have fun.

this is a pretty interesting curved set of tunnels on the UP main, just east of Ogden, Utah.

had to pull my truck over on the side of the road and run through the bushes to get this shot :D

up%20utah%20tunnel%202.JPG

N

nachoman

grain elevator

grain elevator - Walton, NE.

kevin

Attachments

• walton2.jpg
    walton2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 135

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
OK, here's my entry, but I can't post it without a story.

This stucture is in the ghost town of Jerome, Arizona. It was the hospital there until the gold mines ran out and the town was deserted in the mid-50's. Hippies took over the town in the 60's buying houses for pennies on the dollar, and little by little the town started to live again as a tourist attraction. The hospital, perched high on a hill, was converted into the Grand Hotel a few years ago. It's biggest claim to fame is not the spectular views from the veranda, but the fact that it is haunted. There are several spectors seen on the premises, the maintenance man that was crushed in the elevator shaft, or the woman that jumped from the balcony are a few that just might visit you if you stay there.:eek: :cool: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't say I didn't warn you...:wave::wave:

Attachments

• Grand Hotel.jpg
    Grand Hotel.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 137

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Here's a Trestle in east of Momence, IL on the ex-Conrail, now NS, Kankakee Branch line. If you look closely you can see the old wood pilings that were cut when they converted it from Wood to Steel.

Attachments

• Trestle 64x48.jpg
    Trestle 64x48.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 133

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Here's a pic of a silo that was part of A.O. Smith Feeds. Unfortunatly, they building was torn down this past summer, but the silo is still standing...so far.

Attachments

• silo.jpg
    silo.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 123

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
We got the power

I fell in love with this beauty the first time I saw it 12yrs ago and have always wanted to build a model of it. It's just too cool.

It was part of the Collins Co's (they made axes, swords, plows and other assorted cutlery) power grid. Located in Collinsville, CT and built by the employees in 1935 it withstood the flood of 1955. The water level had risen to a point halfway up the large windows. Notice the drop. In an old photo of the flood, the powerhouse looks as though it were standing in a lake.

AS a side note, the Collins company's complex was across the river, below the dam level. Needless to say, the flood pretty much wiped out the company.

If you ever get to Connecticut and have some free time, this is a great place to visit. Check out the museum, they have a club layout there.

Attachments

• Powerhouse2.JPG
    Powerhouse2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 122

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
hey eightyeight,

I used to, along time ago, I grew up in the Vernon/Rockville aera. I was actually living down south in LA for the last 22 years. While working I went to a training class at Trumpf USA in Farmington and stayed at a friends in Canton. This is in between the two places. With a little selective compression and some added trackage, that whole facility could make a nice industrial layout.

Great buildings. It's an excellent example of utilizing water for power.

I live and work in MA, now, but I try and make photo shoot runs to areas in CT. Maybe we can get together one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.