Semi-detached house

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Matthyro said:
Very nice Val. The drapes and blinds really finish it off. Where will this be located on your layout?
Thanks Robin, coming from a master scratchbuilder, that means a lot. The house is going on a new part of the layout -- a peninsula with a trolley line.

shaygetz said:
eavestrough---is that Canadian for gutter?
Yep!

Lighthorseman said:
Pray tell, how'd you get the window openings so perfectly aligned and square?
Well, the bricks and siding lines served as guides for most of them. The Grandt Line windows I used have outside framing, so if the opening has a little bit of play, you can line them up pretty straight.

Again, thanks for all the support folks. This project is a lot of fun - scratchbuilding a particular prototype is pretty cool. I can see why people like to do it.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Okay, I know I said the back decks were next, but I decided to landscape the front yard instead. Here it is, in position (temporarily) on part of the city/trolley module. The front of the house is now complete. :)

Val

edit: not quite true, I still need a few detail parts for the porch - a couple chairs, and I may add a small tree to the yard on the right.

Attachments

• frontfinal.jpg
    frontfinal.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 170

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Very nice, Val.:thumb::thumb:

There is one thing I could never figure out and this is no eflection on your model, I' ve seen this everywhere I see duplexes. Why the two people don't get together and paint them the same. I've seen some really silly looking duplexes in my days!:eek:

Once again nice job!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
NYC-BKO said:
Why the two people don't get together and paint them the same. I've seen some really silly looking duplexes in my days!

Me too, and I wanted to capture exactly that. The people on the left have more money, and have recently replaced the windows and put in new vinyl siding. The people on the right have several different styles going on, with board and batten on the dormer, shiplap, plywood and b&b on the porch enclosure, and the original cedar shakes on the top storey. :eek: :eek: :eek: That's fairly typical too and part of what has made this such a fun project.

But hey, at least they got together on the roof. :D

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
sumpter250 said:
Val,
That's coming along very well! Love the "shingle" siding, that's not done often enough on model buildings. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Pete

Thanks Pete. I used to own a house like this (although mine was detached, ie not a duplex), and that's exactly what it had. Never got around to replacing it - I guess mine was more like the one on the right!! :eek: :D

Val

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Great work Val, I've also started some structures from scratch and I'm finding this part of the hobby very rewarding, I'm using wood since it's my favourite material but your work with styrene is amazing. I'll be watching this closely!