Semi-detached house

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by spitfire, Sep 25, 2004.

1. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: Tooooo kewl Val :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Jim
  2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Robin, coming from a master scratchbuilder, that means a lot. The house is going on a new part of the layout -- a peninsula with a trolley line.

Well, the bricks and siding lines served as guides for most of them. The Grandt Line windows I used have outside framing, so if the opening has a little bit of play, you can line them up pretty straight.

Again, thanks for all the support folks. This project is a lot of fun - scratchbuilding a particular prototype is pretty cool. I can see why people like to do it.

3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Oops, forgot to mention.... Tyson, that's what we Torontonians call a "semi-detached" house. 2 houses share a common center wall. They build them like this, it's not a conversion.

4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Thanks for the info Val!
  5. CharlesH.

CharlesH. Member

Fantastic little home you got there Val!
    Say... how did you make the blinds?
  6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Charles, I printed them on my inkjet from actual photos that I searched on the net.

7. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Okay, I know I said the back decks were next, but I decided to landscape the front yard instead. Here it is, in position (temporarily) on part of the city/trolley module. The front of the house is now complete. :)

edit: not quite true, I still need a few detail parts for the porch - a couple chairs, and I may add a small tree to the yard on the right.

Attached Files:

8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Looks great :thumb: Now come on down to Florida to do some landscapin' here...don't fergit yer chainsaw :p
  10. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

:eek: Wow, excellent job Val, you sure do great work. :thumb:
  11. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Very nice, Val.:thumb::thumb:

There is one thing I could never figure out and this is no eflection on your model, I' ve seen this everywhere I see duplexes. Why the two people don't get together and paint them the same. I've seen some really silly looking duplexes in my days!:eek:

Once again nice job!
  12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

No matter how hard governments, or people who desire control, try, we just keep being different! It's one of the blessings/curses of self awareness. We all want to express our own identity. :)
  13. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

That's coming along very well! Love the "shingle" siding, that's not done often enough on model buildings. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Me too, and I wanted to capture exactly that. The people on the left have more money, and have recently replaced the windows and put in new vinyl siding. The people on the right have several different styles going on, with board and batten on the dormer, shiplap, plywood and b&b on the porch enclosure, and the original cedar shakes on the top storey. :eek: :eek: :eek: That's fairly typical too and part of what has made this such a fun project.

But hey, at least they got together on the roof. :D

15. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Pete. I used to own a house like this (although mine was detached, ie not a duplex), and that's exactly what it had. Never got around to replacing it - I guess mine was more like the one on the right!! :eek: :D

16. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Val, It looks great!

17. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Looks better everyday.
    When can I move in....?
  18. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Hey Val, you should shrink a couple of those down to 1:160 and sell them to Robin. :D
  19. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

Great work Val, I've also started some structures from scratch and I'm finding this part of the hobby very rewarding, I'm using wood since it's my favourite material but your work with styrene is amazing. I'll be watching this closely!
  20. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

Outstanding Val!

If I was wearing a hat I'd tip it to you!